Last Updated on March 21, 2020 by Ellen Christian
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you ever considered how to add essential oils to laundry? Since I use oils in my homemade cleaning products, it only makes sense to use them in my laundry as well. So, today I’m sharing a few tips on how to do this and which scents to try.
Add Essential Oils to Laundry
Can I add essential oils to my laundry? Yes! We usually use a laundry detergent that is clear and unscented. I have very sensitive skin and asthma. So, many of the artificial fragrances make me sneeze or cause a skin rash. But, I really like scented products. So, the solution is to use a natural scent like an essential oil.
What essential oils are good for laundry?
When it comes to how to add essential oils to laundry, a lot depends on the types of scents that you enjoy. You can opt for citrus scents like lemon, orange, or grapefruit. These scents are good for cutting grease and odor. So, I often used them for my son’s sports uniforms. The best essential oils for laundry, in my opinion, are lavender, lemon and tea tree oil.
Best essential oil for laundry scent
Or, you can use a floral scent like lavender when you wash sheets, blankets, and towels. Lavender is very relaxing and is wonderful to fall asleep to at night. You can also add in eucalyptus oil for a soothing combination.
There are also other scents you can use like:
- Peppermint and spearmint have anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. These are good to use along with tea tree oil when there is an illness in the house.
- Rosemary is also good for boosting your immune system. And, it has anti-fungal properties for anyone dealing with athletes’ foot.
- If you want a scent simply to freshen your laundry, try a combination of lemon and basil. Or, rosemary, peppermint, and lemon is one of my favorites.
Essential oils for disinfecting laundry
Be sure that you are purchasing pure essential oils and not fragrance oils. A fragrance oil won’t do anything at all besides add scent.
Do essential oils ruin clothes?
Essential oils aren’t really oils like motor oil or the oil from a greasy hamburger. A pure essential oil should not leave any type of stain at all on your clothes or laundry.
How can you put essential oils in your laundry?
You only need a very little bit of essential oil to give a nice fragrance boost to your clothes. Take your bottle of unscented laundry detergent and add two to three drops of your choice of essential oil or oil combination. Shake the bottle and then sniff. If it’s not strong enough, add another drop. Each time you do laundry, shake the bottle and pour the detergent into the washer. If you’re wondering how to use essential oils to scent laundry in the dryer, keep reading.
Can essential oils catch fire in the laundry?
Your essential oils cannot catch fire in the washing machine since it’s filled with water. However, adding essential oils directly to your laundry may not be a good idea. Essential oils are flammable. While I have never had any sort of problem with this at all, use caution if you plan on adding them directly to your laundry in the dryer. This article was an interesting read and explains it in more depth.
More articles about laundry
- Learn how to organize your linen closet and keep it fresh.
- Make your own powdered laundry detergent.
- How to eliminate laundry odor naturally.
- Benefits of a front-load laundry center
- Three steps to laundry odor removal.
- How to organize your laundry room.
- Make natural laundry boosters.
How to use essential oil in laundry and cleaning
- DIY disinfecting wipes with tea tree oil
- Baking soda air freshener
- How to be more eco-friendly when you clean
- How to clean vinyl sheet flooring
- Washing machine cleaning tips
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.