I worry about germs in the kitchen. After all, I’m preparing raw meat and fish and there is a constant parade of people at the sink with dirty hands. I prefer to use all natural cleaning products in my home but I really want something that’s going to kill any germs and bacteria that are laying around as well. These DIY Disinfecting Wipes with Tea Tree Oil are the perfect solution.
DIY Disinfecting Wipes with Tea Tree Oil
I’ve been buying disinfecting wipes in containers from the store but since I’m working on using less disposable products, I knew this was something I could make easily. I’ve been cleaning with vinegar and tea tree oil in a spray bottle for years so it was just a matter of having the handiness of disinfecting wipes when I wanted one.
You can use whatever type of cloth scraps you have laying around the house. I’ve known people to use old socks and t-shirts. If your little one is now out of diapers, it’s easy to cut up old cloth diapers as well. Since I had neither of these available, I decided to cut up some old cloth napkins that had seen better days.
- Old wipes container or a large Mason jar with lid
- Cloth scraps cut into squares – socks, t-shirts, rags, cloth napkins, etc.
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp vinegar (white)
- 1/2 tbsp dish liquid (natural is best – I use Seventh Generation)
- 10 drops of tea trea essential oil
- Mix the liquid ingredients in the container or Mason jar. Multiply it by however large your container is. I doubled it.
- Either fold or crumple the cloth scraps into the container to mix with the solution.
- To use the wipe, remove it from the container, lightly squeeze the solution from it, use it to wipe down whatever, toss in the laundry basket to put in the next day’s wash.
Periodically, you will need to add more solution to the container but if you cut up enough scraps, it works quite well. I love using vinegar and tea tree oil to clean with. Tea tree oil has a nice astringent smell to it which hides the smell of the vinegar. Both have disinfecting properties so they are a great choice for making DIY disinfecting wipes.
If you’re interested in using more essential oils, check out my other essential oil DIYs.