Last Updated on January 16, 2020 by Ellen Christian
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Foods that help your body detox? There are healthy detox foods that don’t involve expensive juices or supplements. Everything that we take into our body – whether by breathing, eating, drinking or applying to our skin has to be processed out somehow. Take a minute to really think about that. Air, water, that diet soda, those pills you took for your headache, and that hand lotion. Everything.
23 Foods that Help Your Body Detox
In most cases, a healthy liver, kidney, etc. can handle what you take into your body. That’s their job and they do it fairly well most of the time. However, if you’re tired, sluggish, foggy, irregular, suffer from rashes, etc., the cause may be a build-up of things that your body cannot get rid of quickly enough. In this case, you may benefit from a detox.
What is detoxing?
To put it very simply, detoxing is the process your body uses to eliminate toxins that you have taken into your body. This can be environmental toxins, toxins in our food or our skincare, or medication that we’ve taken. Most detoxing is done by your liver, kidneys, and intestines. But, some is also done by your lymph and circulatory systems.
Help reduce your toxin load
Of course, there are other things that you can do to help reduce your toxin load besides eating foods that help you detox. You can drink clean water by using a filter in your reusable water bottle. You can choose organic food over heavily processed foods. And, you can clean your air by using a HEPA filter in your home.
Most powerful detox foods
There are plenty of foods that should be part of our everyday diet that help our bodies detox. While you certainly can purchase a juice, tea or supplement, many of these foods will help you detox as well. As with all things, moderation is key. You absolutely must drink enough water, get enough sleep, and get regular exercise as a part of any attempt to detox.
- Artichokes help promote a healthy liver.
- Almonds help stabilize blood sugar and remove impurities from your bowels.
- Apples are a good source of pectin which helps detox heavy metals.
- Asparagus is considered an anti-inflammatory food and also helps your liver eliminate toxins.
Healthy foods that help your body detox naturally
- Avocados help your liver to eliminate synthetic chemicals.
- Basil is a diuretic and helps your kidneys detox.
- Blueberries help block bacteria in the urinary tract.
- Broccoli helps your liver eliminate toxins more easily.
- Cabbage helps your liver get rid of toxins and break down chemicals.
- Cilantro is loaded with antioxidants and helps your body eliminate mercury.
Foods to detox your immune system
- Cinnamon (one of my favorites) has one of the highest levels of antioxidants. It also helps stop the growth of yeast.
- Cranberries are not only great for helping prevent urinary tract infections, but they also help remove toxins from your body.
- Dandelions help to remove toxins from your bloodstream.
- Flax seeds bind to toxins in your intestinal tract and flush them from your body.
- Garlic can be more effective than antibiotics and helps boost your immune system.
Foods that help your body detox naturally
Here are a few foods that will help you detox naturally. You don’t need to take supplements or special drinks unless you want to. Detoxing is a process that takes time. It won’t happen overnight. Consider it a life change.
- Ginger helps flush out waste and helps improve liver function.
- Grapefruit helps fight oxygen free radicals that can damage cells.
- Green tea is high in antioxidants and is also said to help control blood sugar.
- Kale is loaded with antioxidants and also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lemons help make toxins water-soluble so they can be eliminated from your body more easily.
- Onions are high in amino acids which help detox your liver.
- Parsley is loaded with Vitamins C and K and is also a diuretic that helps your kidneys and bladder.
- Turmeric is high in antioxidants and helps improve the detox process.
More detox articles
You may also enjoy reading these articles if you enjoyed this one.
- Apple cinnamon detox water
- Energy-boosting detox tea
- Cranberry juice detox water for bladder health
- Detox bath recipes
- Tips for a successful detox
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.