Mocha is typically a flavor that includes coffee or espresso, milk or cream, and chocolate. Being slightly addicted to coffee, a mocha is a very occasional treat that I allow myself. Your traditional mocha latte is not overly healthy. It generally has coffee, cream, and chocolate syrup when you buy it at the coffee shop. If you get it iced, it ends up being more like a milkshake than any healthy version of coffee and chocolate.
Chocolate Mocha Protein Shake
I did a little bit of experimenting and have come up with a healthier version of a mocha that I’ve turned into a Chocolate Mocha Protein Shake. It’s just enough of a splurge to satisfy but still manages to be healthy.
This is what I changed to make this healthier:
- Substitute cocoa powder for chocolate syrup. Try to find fair trade cocoa powder if you can.
- Instead of using ice cream or ice cubes to thicken your shake, use a frozen banana.
- I added in a scoop of protein powder. I used French vanilla, but you could use chocolate if you wanted as well.
- Use coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk instead of cream or traditional milk.
- 1 cup of cold coffee
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp of coconut milk or milk of your choice depending on how creamy you want it
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend.
- Serve and enjoy!
This is really a super easy way to get protein first thing in the morning when you’re in a hurry. The protein powder will help keep you full and this is a lot healthier than a mocha latte at the coffee shop.
For more delicious mocha recipes visit a few of my favorite bloggers.
- Pumpkin Spice White Chocolate Mocha by Home and Garden Cafe
- Tips to Save Calories and Craft Awesome Mochas at Home by Day by Day in Our World
- Absolutely Incredible Real Pumpkin Mocha Latte Recipe by Pretty Opinionated
- Chocolate Mocha Mug Cake by Upstate Ramblings
- Salted Caramel Mocha Truffles by Jennifer Sikora