Last Updated on April 9, 2022 by Ellen Christian
If you’re looking for bread machine hot cross buns, try this recipe. Breadmaker hot cross buns are an easy way to make this Easter treat.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
There are so many delicious Easter recipes I enjoy every year. Have you had a chance to try this Easter bread wreath recipe yet? It’s definitely one of my favorites.
Or, if you want something for dessert, you might enjoy these tie-dye fruity Easter cupcakes. They use natural food coloring and are a yummy treat for adults and kids alike.
Bread Machine Hot Cross Buns
This hot cross buns recipe is made in your favorite bread maker. That takes all of the effort of kneading and rising out of the process. And, when I am short on time, using time-saving appliances like a bread machine is a great option.
Hot Cross Buns are a traditional recipe that is often served to mark the end of Lent. The cross on top represents the crucifixion of Jesus. And, the spices represent the spices that were used to embalm him when he was buried.
Hot Cross buns are typically thought of as originating in England. My family’s ancestry is English and Scottish and this is something I remember eating around Easter time for as long as I can remember.
While they are available year-round in some areas, I only see them in the store right around Easter. And, while I buy them every week when they’re available, there are times I want to enjoy them during another time of year.
What are hot cross buns made of?
The origin of hot cross buns dates back to the 12th century. They are a yeast-based sweet bread that contains spices, currants, raisins, and candied citrus. The top has a cross either in icing or baked into the bun itself.
There are many different ways to make Bread Machine Hot Cross Buns depending on what type of candied or dried fruits you like to add.
How do you make breadmaker hot cross buns?
This traditional Easter bread is mixed and kneaded in the bread machine. You will also need to allow it to rise.
Basically, the entire process except the final rise and the baking will happen right in your bread machine. Before the baking process, you will remove the dough and finish making the buns by hand.
At this point, you will separate the dough into buns, place them in a baking pan, and allow it to rise one final time. After this, you will bake them in the oven.
If you love bread machine recipes, you may want to try this Bread Machine wheat bread next.
What is the best fruit for hot cross buns?
Traditionally, you would use currants in this bread machine hot cross buns recipe. But, if you cannot find them, you can always use raisins, golden raisins, or even dried cranberries.
What tools / equipment do I need?
- Bowl with a cloth to cover it or a bread bowl
How can I make a hot cross bun loaf?
If you want to make this as a loaf rather than individual buns, you can just let the bread machine finish out the cooking process. Then, use the icing bag to make crosses on the top.
How should I store these?
Store your bread machine hot cross buns in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature. They will stay good for 3 to 5 days as long as they are covered.
If it is too warm in the kitchen and you worry about the icing melting, you can store them in the refrigerator. Or, apply the icing right before you serve them.
If you want them to last longer than 5 days, you can freeze them. Just wrap each individual bun in tin foil and place it in a freezer bag.
That way, you can take out just one at a time when you want to enjoy it.
More Easter recipes
- ¾ cup water, 110 degrees
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon instant powdered milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, divided, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- ¾ cups dried fruit like raisins, cranberries, or currants
- 2 tablespoons water, for egg wash
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the order listed, place these ingredients into the bread machine: water, butter, powdered milk, sugar, 1 whole egg, 1 egg white (yolk reserved,) cinnamon, flour, and yeast. Program using the dough cycle. Add the dried fruit when prompted to add ingredients OR when the cycle is completed, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat flat. Sprinkle with raisins and knead to combine. Cover and allow to rest for ten minutes.
- Divide the dough into twelve equal pieces and place into the prepared casserole dish.
- Cover and allow to rise in a draft-free place for about one hour or until doubled in size.
- Whisk together the remaining egg yolk and water for the egg wash. Brush evenly over the rolls.
- Place the bread in the oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth. Transfer into a piping bag or zip-top freezer bag with the corner snipped. Squeeze icing parallel and perpendicular over each row of rolls to create crosses.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
9 Inch Proofing Basket,WERTIOO Bread Proofing Basket + Bread Lame +Dough Scraper+ Linen Liner Cloth for Professional & Home Bakers
Piping Bag and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit Baking Supplies Cupcake Icing Tips with Pastry Bag for Baking Decorating Cake
Sun Maid California Zante Currants, 8 oz (Pack of 1)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 6g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.