These delicious popcorn seasonings are just the thing to enjoy with the family for movie night. One of my guilty pleasures is having a huge bowl of popcorn at night while we watch movies. While I used to add a ton of melted butter and salt to my popcorn, I know that’s not the healthiest choice for me to make any more. We get organic, non-GMO popcorn kernels, so I know that popcorn itself is a healthy, gluten-free snack that everyone in the family can enjoy. I wanted to come up with a selection of popcorn seasonings and toppings that tasted really good and were easy to make in a short amount of time. That meant that I wanted to stay away from things that were artificially colored or too high in sugar or salt. Thankfully, there are some different ways you can dress up your homemade popcorn by using seasonings and herbs to add extra taste and texture. This post is brought to you by Netflix.
6 Delicious Popcorn Seasonings You Need to Make
We pop our popcorn in a large pot on top of the stove, and we pop it in coconut oil because it’s such a healthy oil. If you have an allergy to coconut oil (like my husband), you can use olive oil just as easily. Try to avoid the less healthy oils like canola oil that are high in trans fats. Here are a few delicious popcorn seasonings combinations you can try. I create a batch of each and then store it in an old glass spice jar with a lid. Just pop your popcorn and then sprinkle it on top.
- Mexican Seasoning – 2 tbsp ground cumin, 2 tbsp onion powder (not salt), 2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp chili powder, one tsp paprika
- Parmesan Herb Seasoning – 2 tbsp parsley, 2 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Hot Chocolate Seasoning – 3 tbsp cocoa powder (I use Fair Trade), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Cheesy Dill Seasoning – 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, one tsp dried dill, 1/2 tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt
- Cinnamon Toast Seasoning – 1 tbsp brown sugar (if watching sugar intake, use a stevia blend); 1 tsp cinnamon
- Ranch Seasoning – 2 tbsp parsley, 3/4 tsp dried dill, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp black pepper
My absolute favorite popcorn seasoning blend is the Mexican Seasoning. We made a big bowl of popcorn to enjoy while we watched Netflix. I’m sure you remember the TV series Full House. I know that was a favorite of mine. Did you know that Fuller House will be appearing on Netflix starting today (2/26)? Whether you grew up on Full House or are simply looking forward to a show that brings the whole family together, Fuller House delivers. Check out the featurette below for a behind-the-scenes look at the spin-off series and then watch it on Netflix.
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp onion powder (not salt)
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- One tsp paprika
- ⅔ cups of popcorn kernels
- coconut oil to pop
- Add the coconut oil to the pan and heat till melted.
- Add the popcorn kernels.
- Mix the seasonings in a glass container.
- Pop the popcorn over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the seasoning onto the popcorn and enjoy!