Last Updated on February 3, 2020 by Ellen Christian
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These delicious popcorn seasonings are just the thing to enjoy with the family for movie night. One of my guilty pleasures is having a huge bowl of popcorn at night while we watch movies.
6 Delicious Popcorn Seasonings
While I used to add a ton of melted butter and salt to my popcorn, I know that’s not the healthiest choice for me to make any more. We get organic, non-GMO popcorn kernels, so I know that popcorn itself is a healthy, gluten-free snack that everyone in the family can enjoy.
What is a good seasoning to put on popcorn?
I wanted to come up with a selection of popcorn seasonings and toppings that tasted really good and were easy to make in a short amount of time. That meant that I wanted to stay away from things that were artificially colored or too high in sugar or salt. Thankfully, there are some different ways you can dress up your homemade popcorn by using seasonings and herbs to add extra taste and texture.
We pop our popcorn in a large pot on top of the stove, and we pop it in coconut oil because it’s such a healthy oil. If you have an allergy to coconut oil (like my husband), you can use sustainably grown palm oil just as easily. Try to avoid the less healthy oils like canola oil that are high in trans fats.
What do you add to flavor homemade popcorn?
Here are a few delicious popcorn seasonings combinations you can try. I create a batch of each and then store it in an old glass spice jar with a lid. Just pop your popcorn and then sprinkle it on top.
- Mexican Seasoning – 2 tbsp ground cumin, 2 tbsp onion powder (not salt), 2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp chili powder, one tsp paprika
- Parmesan Herb Seasoning – 2 tbsp parsley, 2 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Hot Chocolate Seasoning – 3 tbsp cocoa powder (I use Fair Trade), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Cheesy Dill Seasoning – 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, one tsp dried dill, 1/2 tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt
- Cinnamon Toast Seasoning – 1 tbsp brown sugar (if watching sugar intake, use a stevia blend); 1 tsp cinnamon
- Ranch Seasoning – 2 tbsp parsley, 3/4 tsp dried dill, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp black pepper
My absolute favorite popcorn seasoning blend is the Mexican Seasoning. We made a big bowl of popcorn to enjoy while we watched television. I always make up more than we need so that I have some on hand for next time.
If you’re watching your salt, the best choices are the Mexican Seasoning, Cinnamon Toast Seasoning, or the Ranch Seasoning. They have no added salt. And, there is salt in the Parmesan as well.
How do you get parmesan to stick to popcorn?
So, if you have a problem getting the parmesan to stick to the popcorn for the Parmesan Herb Seasoning and the Cheesy Dill Seasoning, just drizzle a very tiny bit of olive oil on the popcorn first. Then add the seasoning and shake to mix.
More gourmet popcorn flavors
If you love popcorn as much as we do, here are a few more things you can try.
- More healthy homemade popcorn seasoning recipes
- Check out the benefits of whole-grain popcorn
- Vegan buttery popcorn recipe
- Maple walnut popcorn balls
- Indian corn popcorn balls
- Vermont cheddar bacon popcorn
- Maple Harvest Popcorn recipe
Where can I buy healthy popcorn seasoning?
If you’d prefer to buy popcorn seasoning rather than make your own, Urban Accents is all-natural and gluten-free. There are three different flavors that you can choose from. Or Flavor God seasonings are low sodium, Paleo, and have no MSG.
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp onion powder (not salt)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- One tsp paprika
- 2/3 cups of popcorn kernels
- coconut oil to pop
- Add the coconut oil to the pan and heat till melted.
- Add the popcorn kernels.
- Mix the seasonings in a glass container.
- Pop the popcorn over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the seasoning onto the popcorn and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.