Last Updated on April 11, 2022 by Ellen Christian
I love my cast iron. There is something about cooking and baking with cast iron that just gives food a different taste. Of course, you need to make sure that the cast iron is cared for properly too. You don’t care for it the same way as traditional cookware. If you haven’t already, take a look at my post on how to season cast iron.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Skillet Baked Mac and Cheese
Skillet baked mac and cheese is one of my families favorite meatless meals. If you have never made your own homemade mac and cheese, there is no comparison to that boxed stuff in the store. This is a million times more tasty and it’s much better for you as well.
You can bake this in one large cast iron pan or bake it in four individual-sized cast iron pans. If baking in individual cast iron pans, shorten the baking time to about 15 minutes. The breadcrumbs should be lightly brown on top.
30 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 box organic Penne pasta
- 4 tbsp organic butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 to 4 cups of organic milk
- 1 cup of shredded organic sharp cheddar (VT cheddar if you can get it)
- 1/2 cup shredded organic monterey jack
- 1/2 cup shredded organic pepper jack
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (homemade or I like Ians Italian)
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain. Pour into baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a pot.
- Stir in the flour until smooth.
- Add the milk and stir over medium heat until it thickens.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the cheese sauce to the pasta and stir well.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake 350F for 30 minutes.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.