Last Updated on April 12, 2023 by Ellen Christian
If you love cooking in cast iron, try my Skillet Baked Mac and Cheese. Cast iron macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Skillet Baked Mac and Cheese
I love my cast iron. There is something about cooking and baking with cast iron that just gives food a different taste. Of course, you need to make sure that the cast iron is cared for properly too.
You don’t care for it the same way as traditional cookware. If you haven’t already, take a look at my post on how to season cast iron.
Skillet baked mac and cheese is one of my families favorite meatless meals. If you have never made your own homemade mac and cheese, there is no comparison to that boxed stuff in the store.
What size cast iron pan do I need?
You can bake this in one large cast iron pan or bake it in four individual-sized cast iron pans. If baking in individual cast iron pans, shorten the baking time to about 15 minutes.
The breadcrumbs should be lightly brown on top.
- Vermont cheddar cheese
- Monterey jack cheese
- Pepper jack cheese
- Breadcrumbs (homemade or I like Ians Italian)
How to serve Skillet Mac and Cheese
We serve it right in the cast iron pan. Be careful if you are setting the skillet on the table with small children. It will be hot.
What can I add to macaroni and cheese?
- Cubed ham
- Extra cheese
- Hot sauce and chicken
- Fresh herbs
Best toppings for mac and cheese
- Buttered breadcrumbs
- Crushed crackers
- Crushed pretzels
Tips for making cast iron macaroni and cheese
- Don’t overcook the pasta. It will continue to cook while it bakes.
- Homemade cheese sauce makes this dish. Don’t be tempted to use something premade.
- Buttered breadcrumbs will crisp up nicely if you place them under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Velveeta Mac n Cheese Recipe
- Seasoning cast iron
- Southern 3 cheese mac & cheese
- Healthy crockpot mac & cheese
- Hearty Skillet lasagna
- 1 box organic Penne pasta
- 4 tbsp organic butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 to 4 cups of organic milk
- 1 cup of shredded organic sharp cheddar (VT cheddar if you can get it)
- 1/2 cup shredded organic monterey jack
- 1/2 cup shredded organic pepper jack
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (homemade or I like Ians Italian)
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain. Pour into baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a pot.
- Stir in the flour until smooth.
- Add the milk and stir over medium heat until it thickens.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the cheese sauce to the pasta and stir well.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake 350F for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 666Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 788mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 34g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.