Last Updated on April 11, 2022 by Ellen Christian
This three cheese macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite Easter side dishes. One of the first recipes I learned to cook as a child was homemade macaroni and cheese. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods today although I don’t eat it as often.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Three cheese macaroni and cheese was originally made with Gruyere, cheddar, and Parmesan cheeses. These are the three that I typically use. Although, when I’ve run out, I have been known to substitute another type of cheese instead. You could try Colby, Monterey Jack, or Swiss if that’s what you have on hand. This leftover mac and cheese recipe from Hearth & Vine uses up a variety of leftover cheese.
I typically use elbow macaroni when I make my three cheese macaroni and cheese. But, you can use any type of small shaped pasta including conchiglie (shells), rotini, or fusilli. My husband loves the conchiglie because it holds extra sauce which makes it creamier. This Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe by Kimspired DIY uses cavatappi noodles.
Southern three cheese macaroni and cheese recipe
If you’re looking for a southern three cheese macaroni and cheese recipe, you’ll want to choose one that uses a smoked cheddar cheese. It adds a whole different flavor to three cheese macaroni and cheese. Try this smoked macaroni and cheese from 4 Sons R Us.
Rachel Ray 3 cheese mac and cheese
If you’re a fan of Rachel Ray 3 cheese mac and cheese, she uses only cheddar in her recipes like this baked macaroni and cheese recipe from Feast and Farm. After making it, she bakes it in the oven with buttered breadcrumbs. It’s very similar to my three cheese macaroni and cheese recipe with buttered breadcrumbs. Or, try this easy baked lobster mac and cheese from The Suburban Soapbox.
Creamy three cheese mac and cheese recipe
If you prefer a creamy three cheese mac and cheese recipe over a baked recipe, you’ll want to simply make it on the stove top and skip the baking portion. No need to add breadcrumbs to the top.
You can add in extras if you like. Try the creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese from Pumpkin n Spice. I often add mushrooms or crumbled bacon to my recipe. Or, try this Instant Pot mac and cheese from Build Your Bite. This pumpkin pepper jack mac and cheese by Cooking with Carlee sounds amazing.
Here are a few other macaroni and cheese recipes you may want to try.
- Greek yogurt mac and cheese from Joy Food Sunshine
- Velveeta Mac n Cheese Recipe
- Creamy Crock Pot mac and cheese from The Two Bite Club
- Amazing baked macaroni and cheese from Tikkido
- Sloppy joe mac and cheese from Platter Talk
- Pumpkin macaroni and cheese from Family Spice
- Asparagus macaroni and cheese from Recipes from a Pantry
- Loaded mac and cheese from Cooked by Julie
- Italian macaroni and cheese from Ann’s Entitled Life
- Pressure cooker jalapeno macaroni ham and cheese from This Old Gal
- Instant Pot hamburger mac and cheese from Salt & Lavender
- Kimchi bacon Greek yogurt mac and cheese from Project Meal Plan
- Bacon mac and cheese from Dancing through the Rain
- Lobster Mac and Cheese from Dessert for Two
- Copycat Costco mac and cheese from House of Nash Eats
- Gluten-free Instant Pot mac and cheese by Confessions of a Fit Foodie
- Baked crab mac and cheese by Two Lucky Spoons
- Black truffle mac and cheese by Bacon is Magic
- Gluten-free mac and cheese from A Girl Worth Saving
- Moroccan tempeh mac and cheese from Kiip Fit
- Creamy Instant Pot mac and cheese from Curry Trail
- Philly Cheesesteak mac and cheese from New South Charm
Yields 1 pan
Check out my three cheese macaroni and cheese recipe. It makes the perfect side dish for Easter.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 pound dried macaroni or other short pasta
- Cheese sauce:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 tablespoons of flour
- 2 teaspoons of dried mustard powder
- 4 cups of milk
- 3 cups grated Gruyere or other Swiss cheese
- 2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the macaroni & cook to the package directions. Drain macaroni & set aside.
- While the macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a 2 to 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until translucent and very tender, but not brown. Add the flour and mustard powder and stir, cooking for two minutes. Whisk in the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Bring sauce to boil. Once it has boiled and thickened, remove from heat & stir in cheeses, salt and pepper.
- In a large casserole dish, combine macaroni and cheese sauce. Combine topping ingredients and spread mixture on top of the macaroni. Cook at 350F for 30 minutes.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.
2 thoughts on “Southern 3 Cheese Macaroni and Cheese”