Last Updated on January 2, 2023 by Ellen Christian
Looking for Mexican chili recipes? I lost forty pounds on Weight Watchers and this Mexican Chicken Chili Recipe was one of my favorite dinner ideas.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mexican Chicken Chili Recipe
It’s loaded with flavor but very low in fat and calories. Plus, it’s super easy to make on a busy night and the entire family enjoys it. I found the key to sticking to my diet is to find recipes that I really love and make them regularly.
Reprinted from the book Weight Watchers Eat! Move! Play! With permission from John Wiley & Sons Inc. I’ve had a lot of different Weight Watchers cookbooks but I have to say that this one is one of my favorites. You can buy the latest ones at your local Weight Watchers’ meetings, but you can also find the older ones on Amazon.
Per serving (1 1/2 cups): 239 Cal, 6 g Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 44 mg Chol, 488 mg Sod, 26 g Carb, 8 g Fib, 22 g Prot, 103 mg Calc.
If you want to save time preparing this meal, you can cook the chicken ahead of time and freeze it or store it in the refrigerator. Then, when it comes time to make dinner, you already have the chicken ready to go. If you want something with a bit more heat, add Mexican chili peppers. Pre-chopping your vegetables is also another great way to make it easier to get dinner on the table fast. This easy Mexican chili recipe will be a favorite!
Since this serves 10, it’s the perfect recipe to freeze for lunch during the week. That way, you won’t be tempted to eat something less healthy. Just store a serving in a freezer container to take out when you need it. Then, you can serve it along with a garden salad and some of my Raspberry Vinaigrette salad dressing.
This really is the best Mexican chili recipe ever! Do you have a favorite Weight Watcher’s recipe?
More Weight Watchers articles
- Weight Watchers Chicken Paprikash
- My Honest Weight Loss Journey
- Plate Method for Portion Control
- Weight Watchers Coleslaw Recipe
- 6 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Combine the chicken and enough water to cover in a large, heavy pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked for about 12 minutes. Drain the chicken, reserving the cooking liquid. Cool the chicken, remove and discard the bones, and coarsely shred the meat.
- Meanwhile, place the same pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, cocoa powder, oregano, and coriander and cook until the spices are fragrant about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, beer, salt, and 3 1/2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a simmer; reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Add the beans. Simmer, uncovered, until the chili thickens, about 30 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and simmer until heated through.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 872mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 43g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.