I try really hard to make healthy food choices when I grocery shop. I avoid processed food whenever possible and prefer to make it from scratch. When my husband or the kids (17 & 21) go to the store on their own, they bring home foods that are more processed than I prefer. The have a love for your traditional frozen foods like frozen pizza puff appetizers and snack foods. I came up with some homemade healthy appetizers to take their place.
Pizza Puff Appetizers | Homemade Healthy Appetizers
I made these with a gluten free flour blend so that my daughter could enjoy them. If you’re not following the gluten free diet, you can use traditional all-purpose flour and they’ll come out just as delicious. The type of cheese you use is flexible. To keep it Italian in flavor, I used mozzarella as the main cheese. I used Colby Jack to sprinkle on top because that’s one of my husband’s favorites. If you’d rather you could certainly use Cheddar or Parmesan instead. I used dried herbs because it’s winter time; however, if it was summer I would have substituted fresh herbs from our garden instead.
- ¾ cup all purpose flour or gluten free flour mix
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup other shredded cheese (I like Colby Jack)
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs, dried
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce (to dip in)
- ¼ cup finely chopped pepperoni, nitrate free
- Organic olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray mini muffin tins with organic olive oil spray. It should make 18 mini pizza puff appetizers.
- Put flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add milk and egg. Whisk till combined.
- Add cheese, herbs and pepperoni. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Divide between 18 mini muffin tins.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the tops are golden. Cool slightly & remove.
- Serve with dipping sauce while warm.
These Pizza Puff Appetizers will make a great appetizer for your football party or for any party you’d like to be able to offer homemade healthy appetizers. They would even work well as a late night snack or light lunch for the kids.
What are your favorite homemade healthy appetizers?