This hot spiced cranberry cider recipe is a nice change from apple cider. The vibrant red color makes it the perfect choice for holiday entertaining. I’ve been making this for a few years and have no idea where the original recipe came from. I’ve modified it a bit over the years to reduce the sugar content. This isn’t super sweet so you can taste the cranberry and the cinnamon more than the sugar.
Easy Hot Spiced Cranberry Cider Recipe
If you prefer your beverages sweeter, you can increase the amount of brown sugar. You can also try using honey, stevia, agave or maple syrup in place of the sugar. I find that the brown sugar is the perfect combination for the cinnamon and apple cider in this recipe. This recipe makes enough for about six glasses so if you’ll be having company, make sure to double the recipe.
- 4 cups of real apple cider
- 2 cups of cranberry juice (not cocktail)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star of anise
- 1 lemon or orange
- ¼ cup fresh cranberries
- Put the apple cider, cranberry juice and brown sugar in a pot.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks and star of anise wrapped in cheesecloth or in a muslin bag.
- Add the cranberries to the pot.
- Bring a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the spices.
- Pour into glasses making sure that the cranberries are evenly divide.
- Slice the lemon or orange and add one slice to each cup.
This is such a delicious hot drink to enjoy with friends and family over the holiday season. We love it with a piece of homemade bread and some cranberry butter while we sit around the woodstove.
For more Thanksgiving and fall recipes and crafts, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Hot Spiced Cranberry Cider by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Coconut Cream Pie Recipe by A Mom’s Take
- Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole by Mom Does It All
- Pumpkin Lebkuchen Donuts by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Turkey Sweet Potato Chili by Home And Garden Cafe
- Peanut Butter Cup Cake by Simply Southern Mom
- Heaven’s Delight Pineapple Marshmallow Thanksgiving Dessert Recipe by Pretty Opinionated
- Thanksgiving Craft: “Give Thanks” Wooden Blocks by Better in Bulk
- Delicious Chocolate Genoise Recipe by OurFamilyWorld
- Easy Thanksgiving Centerpiece by Upstate Ramblings
- Family Gratitude Journal by Day by Day in Our World
- How to Make Pumpkin Gnocchi by Jennifer Sikora
- Fun Turkey Cupcake Idea by Kids Fun Reviewed
- Fall Harvest Pins DIY Fall Harvest Craft by Blessed Elements
- Hearty Chicken and Vegetable Soup by Sweet Lil You
- Soft Baked White Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies by Savvy Saving Couple
- Mini Fall Leaf Decorated Cookies by How Was Your Day?
- Homemade Apple Muffins by Momma D Jane