Holiday jams make wonderful Christmas gifts. Most people don’t make their own jams or jellies any longer so receiving a homemade holiday jam is a bit of a treat. You can put holiday jams in a basket along with some kitchen towels and a loaf of homemade bread for a larger gift idea. This Cranberry Raisin Jam is one of my favorites because it’s so festive looking. This jam is NOT processed so it will need to be refrigerated to keep fresh.
Holiday Jams | Cranberry Raisin Jam
You can use golden raisins or regular raisins in this recipe. Please buy organic raisins since grapes have a very high level of pesticide used on them traditionally. Grapes from Chili (90% of the grapes from January to April) can have up to 17 different chemicals sprayed on them. Organic raisins are also naturally sun dried rather than dried with the use of preservatives.
- 2½ cups of water
- 2½ cups of organic cane sugar
- rind and juice of 1 organic orange
- 1 12 oz package of fresh cranberries
- 1¼ cups of chopped organic raisins
- Place the water, sugar and orange rind/juice in a large pot. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and raisins to the pot.
- Boil about 5 to 10 more minutes. Let it stand until room temperature.
- Spoon into sterilized canning jars and put on the ring/lid.
- Refrigerate immediately.
This recipe makes 7 little crystal jelly jars. They are 4 ounces each. You could make larger jars if you prefer but you’d probably only get three full jars. When you see bags of fresh cranberries in the grocery store around Thanksgiving, buy several bags. You can easily toss them in the freezer to use during the rest of the year. In our stores, once the holidays are gone, I cannot find fresh cranberries any longer. You can make this recipe with fresh cranberries or the frozen ones.