I had no idea there was a crockpot flan recipe. I love flan but I have always made it in the oven. A crockpot flan recipe means that I can start it during the day in the crockpot and it will be ready at night when I want dessert. Getting dinner ready on the table can be hectic enough some nights and when that’s the case, dessert in the crockpot is a great choice. I found this crockpot flan recipe in a cookbook called Slow Cooker Desserts by Jonnie Downing.
Crockpot Flan Recipe
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- ½ (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Warm a small saucepan on the stove over medium heat and then pour in 1 cup sugar. Stir constantly until the sugar melts and browns. Remove from the heat and spoon 3 tablespoons liquid caramel into each of 4 ramekins. Gently rotate the ramekins until the caramel coats the sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the condensed and whole milk, the remaining ¼ cup sugar, and the vanilla, whisking to mix thoroughly. To produce an extra smooth flan, strain the mixture through cheesecloth or a fine mesh wire strainer. Pour over the caramel in the ramekins.
- Set the ramekins in the slow cooker. Carefully pour in hot water to surround them, but not enough that any will get into the ramekins. Cover and cook on high for four hours. Carefully lift out the flans and let them cool on trivets or a wire rack for at least one hour.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of each ramekin and flip the chilled flans upside down into individual serving plates.