Tortilla Espanola recipe
Tortilla Espanola recipe- gluten free recipe
I cut this in fourths to create a single portion. Use these measurements if you want a Tortilla Espanola recipe with four servings.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, slightly crushed
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- Lightly beat the eggs, season with a generous sprinkle of salt, and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium low heat. Add the onions and garlic and gently cook until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the potatoes and continue to cook for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes have completely fallen apart. Take care to keep the heat low enough that the potatoes and onions don't take on any color.
- Drain the onions & potatoes through a colander, reserving enough olive oil for cooking the tortilla.
- Season the potato and onion mixture with salt and mix with the beaten eggs; it should be roughly equal parts potatoes and eggs as you want the mixture to be just barely held together with the eggs.
- Heat a 10" non stick skillet over medium-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil from the potatoes and onions. Pour the potato and egg mixture into the pan and leave it alone for 2 minutes until the bottom starts to set up. Gently shake the pan to release the eggs from the edge to make sure they're not sticking at all. Cook for 5 minutes or so until the bottom is set but the top is very wet.
- Place a large, flat plate on top of the skillet, hold it tightly, and in one quick motion flip over the pan and the tortilla.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and return it to the heat. Add another tablespoon of the cooking oil and carefully slip the tortilla back into the pan. Using a rubber spatula, carefully tuck the edges of the tortilla into the pan and cook for another 3 minutes. Flip one or two more times to get a rounded edge. (OK I skipped that part)
I found this recipe in Sean Mullen’s Hero Food.