I’m almost past the stage where I need to worry about back to school. I admit that after years of backpacks, crayons and stacks of forms to fill out, I’m almost ready for it. David graduated high school last year and he’s searching for full time employment. Sarah has one semester left at college and she’ll be looking for a job as well. Things are going to be different around here soon, ready or not.
Baked Eggs in Portobello Mushroom Caps
Back to school breakfasts mean different things for different people. For some, it’s cold cereal and breakfast pastries. For others it’s eggs and bacon. Others make muffins and French toast. While we enjoy all those things occasionally, with older kids I look for a breakfast that gets their attention. Too often, they’re more likely to grab a coffee on the way to school and not worry about breakfast at all unless they’ve grabbed a donut or breakfast sandwich.
Since Sarah is gluten intolerant, I generally look for healthy gluten free breakfast ideas. We avoid most of the gluten free baked goods since no one likes the taste. These baked eggs in portobello mushroom caps are gluten free, healthy and delicious.
You can serve this as is and top it with a bit of salsa if you like. Or if you have a meat lover in your home, you can serve it with bacon, ham or sausage. To save time, prep the mushroom caps the night before and do everything except add the egg until right before you put it in the oven.
For more back to school ideas, check out a few of my favorite blogs:
- Free Behavior Charts Printable from A Mom’s Take
- DIY Pen / Pencil Cup Holder from Mom Does it All
- Teacher Survival Kit from My So Called Balanced Life
- DIY Schultute for back to school from Two Girls One Boy and a Crazy Mom
- DIY Homework Station from Home and Garden Cafe
- No Mess Glitter Composition Book from How Was Your Day
- Personalized Pencil And Art Supplies Cup from Our Family World
- Mango Overnight Oatmeal by Upstate Ramblings
- 7 School Lunches to Pack Beyond the Sandwich from MommaDJane
- Out of the Blue College Gift Basket from Simply Southern Mom
- Fabulous Back To School DIY Notebook Covers from My Kid’s Guide
- Monogrammed Trinket Dish from Style on Main
- American Girl Accessories Notebooks from This Mama Loves