Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on June 24, 2019 by Ellen Christian
There is nothing more filling on a cold winter night than a favorite casserole recipe. The warmth from the oven is an added bonus. One of my favorite comfort foods is this sausage pasta recipe with cream sauce. It is quick and easy to prepare and can be made, baked and served in the same oven same casserole dish. One pan cooking means less dishes and that makes me happy. The type of sausage that I use in this sausage pasta recipe really depends on what I have in the freezer. I have used sweet Italian, hot Italian, smoked sausage and kielbasa (like I did tonight). They are all delicious.
Instead of slicing link sausage to use in the sausage pasta recipe, you could start with a bulk sausage and simply crumble it into small pieces instead. Whatever you happen to have in the freezer will work quite well.
Sausage Pasta Recipe with Cream Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 link of kielbasa (or half a rope)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can of stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup of heavy cream or half and half
- 1 13.25 oz DeCecco Penne Rigate (I used whole wheat)
- 2 cups of Mexican blend cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add the olive oil to an oven/stovetop safe pan.
- Heat the onions and kielbasa till lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, stock, cream and pasta to the pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cover the pan. Reduce the heat so it simmers. Cook 10-15 minutes till al dente.
- Remove the pan from the stove. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake 15 minutes uncovered until the cheese melts.
This is a delicious sausage pasta recipe that your whole family will enjoy. I received a box of DeCecco pasta products for a feature and used DeCecco Whole Wheat penne Rigate in this recipe. You could use elbows, rotini or another shape if your family prefers. DeCecco offers a variety of types of pasta including spaghetti, fusili, rigatoni, farfelle, linguini and more. You can find traditional, whole wheat, and tricolor pasta. They also have potato gnocci, olive oil, and a variety of different sauces.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.