Last Updated on December 11, 2021 by Ellen Christian
One of our favorite holiday dishes is my Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese Recipe with Buttered Breadcrumbs. Each year, as the weather cools down, I start to get requests to make it for dinner. It’s often made near the holidays, because we like to add leftover ham to the recipe. But, it’s just as good without any added meat. The secret is the blend of cheeses and the buttered Italian breadcrumbs on top. Thank you to Shaw’s and Lucerne®Dairy Farms for sponsoring today’s conversation.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
One of the first dishes that I learned to make was homemade macaroni and cheese. I think I was about 13 the first time I made it and it quickly became one of my favorite meals. If your only experience with macaroni and cheese is the boxed variety, you need to make it from scratch.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 pounds of elbow macaroni
- 4 1/2 sticks of Lucerne® butter (not margarine)
- 1 1/4 cups white flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black or white pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups Lucerne® Munster Cheese (grated)
- 3 cups Lucerne® Sharp Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 3 cups Lucerne® Monterey Jack or Colby Jack Cheese (grated)
- 2 cups of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- In a large pot, melt 2 1/2 sticks butter over low heat and add the flour, salt, and pepper whisking to break up clumps.
- Add the milk a little at a time, continuing to whisk. Cook until it is thickened and smooth - about 7 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the cheese until smooth.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan.
- Melt 2 sticks of butter in a small pan. Add the breadcrumbs. Stir until mixed.
- Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs on top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until it bubbles.
This homemade macaroni and cheese recipe is a great side dish for your holiday meal or the perfect way to use up leftover ham. Or, just enjoy it as the main dish with a garden salad for a family dinner. You can find a variety of quality, affordable products from Lucerne® Dairy Farms, available exclusively at Shaw’s stores in the area. Visit Shaws.com/Lucernedairy for other delicious recipes using Lucerne® products created by Shaw’s Chef Jeff Anderson.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.