Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on September 2, 2020 by Ellen Christian
Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad is a summer salad that’s filled with Mexican flavor. Try this traditional Mexican macaroni salad today.
I love summer salad recipes and we often make them on Memorial Day and Labor Day. They go well with all of the meats that we love to grill outside.
Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
This Mexican Pasta Salad recipe has all of the tastes you’d expect in Mexican food. It’s loaded with black beans, street corn, avocado, and queso fresco cheese.
And, to make the ideal Mexican chicken pasta salad, we have added rotisserie chicken and the pasta of your choice. It’s an easy side dish or light main meal you can enjoy during the busy summer months or serve when entertaining.
This easy pasta salad recipe is one of our favorites because it uses mostly pantry ingredients. The only fresh vegetables you need are avocados, jalapenos, and cherry tomatoes.
- Baking sheet
- Large bowl
Tips for making a traditional Mexican macaroni salad
I absolutely love Mexican street corn. I had it on a trip once and was just so impressed with the flavor.
- That traditional flavor is one of the keys to this salad recipe. So, be sure not to skip that step and just use plain corn.
- The dressing used in this recipe is a combination of pre-made ranch dressing and taco seasoning. If you have a favorite homemade recipe, you can certainly use that instead.
- For a spicy Mexican pasta salad, you can turn up the heat by adding a bit more taco seasoning and jalapenos. Or, if you want something that is less spicy, use a bit less.
What’s the best cheese to use?
For an authentic taste, use Cotija cheese. If you cannot find it in your store (I could not), then you can use Queso Fresco cheese or even feta instead.
An easy way to crumble cheese is to use a fork to break it into smaller pieces. This means you get a variety of different sizes which might not happen if you chop it.
How do I roast the corn?
I’ve started with a can of corn to save time. If you prefer to use fresh, you can do that as well.
You will need to line a baking sheet with foil and spread the cooked corn in an even layer over the top. Then, you will place it under the broiler until it starts to get dark.
Can I use frozen corn?
Yes, if you want to use frozen corn in your Mexican Macaroni Salad, you can do that as well. Just allow it to thaw and drain it before roasting it.
Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad variations
One of the best things about making this salad is that you can customize the ingredients based on what you like or what you have on hand. So, here are a few ideas.
- Add bacon for a smoky flavor.
- Sautee the corn in bacon grease rather than roasting it.
- Rinse the pasta off under cold water and drain well. Don’t add it warm to the salad.
- Make this recipe the day before and keep it in the refrigerator until you want to serve it. Just mix well and serve.
- If you have leftovers, cover them tightly and store them in the refrigerator for up to a week.
More Mexican recipes
- 1-pound pasta of your choice, cooked according to box directions
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 can sweet yellow corn, drained
- 1 can seasoned black beans, drained, and rinsed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, pitted and cubed
- 1 ¼ cup fresh queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place a baking mat or foil on a baking pan and spread the corn evenly over it. Place under the broiler, keeping a sharp eye, until it just begins to char. Remove and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ranch dressing and taco seasoning together. Add water if necessary if you prefer yours to be thin.
- In a large bowl, add the pasta, chicken, corn, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, avocados, and 1 cup of the cheese. Toss with dressing
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and remaining cheese and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 761Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1267mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 12gSugar: 6gProtein: 31g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.