Last Updated on November 6, 2022 by Ellen Christian
You are going to love this lemon cake from scratch! I love baking and am always searching for “from scratch” recipes. I am not a big fan of chocolate, so when I want cake, I usually make a carrot cake, spice cake, or this lemon drizzle cake.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon Cake from Scratch
I’m also not a big fan of frosting and either eat the cake without frosting or add a dusting of confectioner’s sugar to the top. When I saw this Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe in The Ladies Book of Baking from Parragon Book’s Love Food line, I knew that was exactly the type of cake that I would enjoy.
If you love lemon, seriously, this is the best ever lemon cake! It’s moist and delicious and not overpoweringly sweet. It would be perfect for Easter or Mother’s Day.
Southern lemon cake recipe
If you’re looking for a southern lemon cake recipe, you are probably looking for a pound cake. This buttermilk lemon pound cake is exactly what you’re looking for.
This recipe is a super moist lemon cake recipe but is not as dense as pound cake.
Lemon cake recipes with cake mix
When I’m short on time, making lemon cake recipes with cake mix is an easy baking hack. There’s no measuring or sifting involved. And the cake comes out perfectly every time.
This is one of my favorite lemon cake mix recipes.
To make this lemon cake from scratch, you’ll need a lemon zester and a confectioner sugar sifter. Please start with organic lemons since you’re using zest.
You’ll notice that my lemon drizzle cake calls for either granulated or superfine sugar. I prefer the way it comes out with superfine sugar.
But, if you cannot find superfine sugar in your area, you can use granulated sugar instead. Or, you can buy superfine sugar on Amazon if you want to try it that way. You may have also seen it referred to as caster sugar.
More cake recipes
Lemon Drizzle Cake
You are going to love this lemon cake from scratch! I absolutely love baking and am always searching for from scratch recipes. I am not a big fan of chocolate so when I want cake, I usually make a carrot cake, spice cake or this lemon drizzle cake.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 superfine sugar or granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup soft margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 7 inch square cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- Put the eggs, sugar and margarine in a mixing bowl and beat well until smooth and fluffy. Stir in the lemon rind, then fold in the flour and baking powder lightly and evenly. Stir in the milk, mixing evenly, then spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and stand the cake pan on a wire rack.
- To make the syrup, put the confectioners sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Do not boil.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a toothpick and spoon the hot syrup evenly over the top allowing it to be absorbed.
- Let cool completely in the cake pan, then turn out the cake, cut into 12 pieces, and dust with a little confectioners' sugar before serving.
Serving Size:12 pieces of pie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.
27 thoughts on “Lemon Cake from Scratch – Lemon Drizzle Cake”