Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon Polenta Cake with Rosemary – Savory cake recipe
45 minsCook Time
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar (superfine) I used regular granulated sugar
- 2 2/3 cups ground almonds
- 3 large free range eggs
- zest and juice of 3 unwaxed lemons
- generous 1/2 cup polenta
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup caster sugar (superfine)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (1 1/2" long)
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease & line a 8" loose bottomed pan. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add a tablespoonful of the almonds and then beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well between each egg. Fold in the remaining almonds and the lemon zest, along with the polenta and baking powder. Pop the mixture into the pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a knife or skewer comes out clean.
- While the cake is in the oven, prepare the syrup. Put the caster (superfine) sugar, lemon juice, and rosemary into a small pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes or until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Cool the syrup a little and sieve it. When the cake is out of the oven, let it cool for 10 minutes or so in its pan. Poke about 20 holes in the cake and pour the syrup over so that it sinks into the holes. Leave the cake for a couple of hours to soak up all the syrup before removing it from the pan and serving.
If you are using polenta that is premade and in a tube, you will need to crumble it with your fingers before adding it to the batter. If you are using polenta you made from scratch, just add as is because it will be more of a batter consistency. I found it easiest to line the bottom of my cake pan with parchment paper so that it popped right out.
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from a lemon polenta cake with rosemary but the lemony sugar syrup infused with rosemary turns this into the most amazing dessert. The Lemon Polenta Cake with Rosemary is a dense cake similar to a carrot cake or zucchini cake. It’s the perfect savory cake recipe for a more grown up party where there aren’t kids looking for super sweet cakes with frosting. This is a delicious savory cake recipe for a special occasion. I found this recipe in the Cake Magic cookbook by Kate Shirazi.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.