Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
There’s just something about Valentine’s Day that makes me want to bake up a yummy chocolate dessert for my family. I’m not a huge chocolate fan but Marty and the kids seem to enjoy them so I thought I would make them a treat. This Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe comes from Cake Ladies Celebrating a Southern Tradition. It’s simple to make but will definitely impress your family.
Mississippi Mud Cake
For the Cake:
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, melted
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Topping:
1 bag (10 1/2 ounces) miniature marshmallows
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9×13 rectangular cake pan lightly with vegetable oil spray.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, add and mix all the cake ingredients together by hand until combined and no lumps remain, one by one in the order listed into the bowl.
- Gently scrape the batter into the pan. Place in the preheated oven, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, distribute the marshmallows evenly over the surface of the warm cake. Set aside.
- Put the butter and milk in a large sauce pan over medium heat and cook until the butter is melted and the mixture is beginning to simmer.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa powder. The mixture will be slightly lumpy.
- Return the pan to medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, whisking between additions.
- Continue cooking, whisking, until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Immediately pour the hot glaze over the marshmallows, covering them completely.
- Let stand at room temperature before cutting. Mississippi Mud Cake can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This is absolutely delicious and very easy to make. The chocolate glaze didn’t cover the marshmallows completely for me so I just swirled it a bit with a knife and it came out just fine. I let it sit overnight before I cut it to make sure everything was set properly. If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it!
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.