Last Updated on April 6, 2022 by Ellen Christian
You are going to love this buttermilk lemon pound cake! Pound cake is one of my all-time favorite desserts. Get my recipe here.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s sweet without being too sweet and it tastes wonderful when you add fresh berries and whipped cream to the top. I generally make this in the spring or summer when I can get berries from the woods or from a local pick your own berry farm. Of course, you can really make it any time of the year.
Buttermilk Lemon Pound Cake
So, if you’ve ever wondered where the name pound cake came from, I’ll explain.
Pound cake originated in Europe. It used to weigh four pounds because it took one pound of butter, flour, eggs, and sugar to make it. I haven’t ever seen a modern-day recipe that only took those ingredients but that is what I’ve always been told.
My homemade lemon pound cake recipe takes more than just four ingredients, but it’s well worth the effort.
If you’re looking for a moist lemon pound cake recipe, this is it. If you’d prefer, you can serve this just with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar.
Or you can eat it plain. It’s just that good. I really think that this tastes best with homemade buttermilk but you can use the store-bought version if you need to.
One of the keys to making this recipe is to line a loaf pan with parchment paper that you have sprayed with olive oil. Yes, you need to do this even with a non-stick pan if you want it to come out in one piece.
Instead of buying cans of non-stick spray, I use an olive oil mister. It works wonderfully and there is no waste.
More delicious dessert recipes
- Cranberry almond eggnog bread
- How to make strawberry-rhubarb sauce
- Lemon maple zucchini bread
- Olive oil pound cake
- 8 ozs. butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan with non-stick spray and line pan with parchment paper that has also been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and set aside Mix the buttermilk and lemon extract together. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy; add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Add the lemon zest. To this alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture stirring well each time.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until done.
Serving Size:12 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 434mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 6g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.