Last Updated on June 4, 2023 by Ellen Christian
Learn how to improve meditation focus with these simple tips. Find out how to increase your concentration while meditating with these suggestions.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Improve Meditation Focus
Focused Meditation, or FAM, can be one of the best techniques for those with depression or anxiety. Some people find it difficult to increase their concentration while meditating.
I start my day with a morning meditation and focus on a single focal point to improve mindfulness.
Meditation can help with a variety of mental health issues for some people. I find that Zen meditation helps with my anxiety and stressful situations in my daily life.
Others have found that meditation can help with emotional regulation and improved memory and attention span.
What is concentration?
Before we start, let’s define concentration. Concentration is the act of focusing your awareness and attention on one specific thing.
It’s about learning how to direct your thoughts away from distractions and toward an object for a period of time.
Does meditating help with focusing?
Yes, meditation can help with focusing. It is a type of relaxation that allows practitioners to develop the ability to focus on one single thought or sensation. Meditation also helps reduce stress and promote relaxation.
Here are a few tips for beginners:
- Get in a comfortable seated position.
- Keep your feet flat on the ground if you are sitting in a chair.
- Take deep breaths.
- Hold your head upright but not stiffly.
- Start with short sessions of ten minutes.
- Find something physical to focus on to improve focused meditation.
The meditation starter kit from Energy Mindfulness contains a variety of daily meditation tools. This includes Quantum Creation candles, sage spray for clarity, chakra crystals, a hemp cloth, and a canvas travel bag.
This kit has everything I need to improve my attention span while I practice meditation. It keeps everything in one place so I have what I need when I start meditating.
What is mindfulness meditation?
Mindfulness meditation is a type of meditation that focuses on being aware and present in the moment. It encourages practitioners to bring their attention to their breath or body sensations while letting go of thoughts or worries that may come up during the process.
What is focused attention meditation?
Focused Attention Meditation (FAM) is a type of meditation that requires the practitioner to focus their attention on one object, such as a word, phrase, or image. This type of meditation helps practitioners learn how to control their thoughts and feelings by learning to stay focused on one thing at a time.
It takes time to improve concentration and work up to longer sessions. When I began, I didn’t have a great ability to concentrate.
The first step is to declare your intention. As an aid, you can write it on the Quantum Candles from Energy Mindfulness using their special marker.
I have found that this meditation style helps improve mental clarity. If you find that you have brain fog while meditating, a sage spray like the one from Energy Mindfulness can help you remain present.
The Quantum Creation Candles and Sage Spray can be used in concentration meditation to help improve focus. The eucalyptus and mint candles use essential oils that are known to help improve concentration.
How do I stop thinking while meditating?
A common mistake people make when they begin meditating is that they try to stop thinking. This can be difficult as thoughts will come up, even during a meditation session.
The key is to observe your thoughts without judging or reacting to them. Instead of trying to suppress the thought, simply acknowledge it and move on.
Your meditation practice will improve as you remain focused. This takes consistent practice.
4 tips for succeeding with focus meditation
1. Start with short meditations: Start by doing brief meditations (5-10 minutes) to get used to the process. As you become more comfortable, you can gradually increase the length of your meditation sessions.
2. Choose a focal point: Find something that will help you maintain focus during your meditation practice, such as a mantra, visualization, or physical sensation. Many people find that shakra stones like the ones from Energy Mindfulness are helpful.
3. Avoid distractions: Find a quiet space where you won’t be disturbed by external noises or other people. Make sure you turn off all electronics and put away any objects that may cause distraction during your meditation session.
4. Be patient: It takes time to learn how to focus while meditating. Don’t be discouraged if you find yourself losing focus or getting distracted. With practice, your concentration will improve over time.
Why can’t I focus during meditation?
It’s completely normal to experience difficulties in focusing during meditation. It takes time and practice to train your mind to stay present and aware of the moment.
If you find yourself losing focus or getting distracted, just take a few moments to refocus your attention back on your breath or body sensations.
You may find it helpful to use meditation tools to help your mind focus on something physical to block out distractions. Sustained attention comes with practice.
These tools can include a lit scented candle or chakra stones. You may want to create a small platform you can focus on during your meditation.
Creating a special place for meditation
Having a special place for your meditative practice has helped me. If you plan on consistent meditation I recommend this as well.
I place the Energy Mindfulness kit at the foot of my yoga mat while I’m meditating. The sage spray can help with my mind wandering. The candles and crystals give me something to focus on.
When my mind wanders, I sometimes use guided meditations. And, I try to pay particular attention to what is drawing my attention away from meditation. Self awareness can help you resolve these issues.
Daily devotion guide
- Gather your meditation tools. I use the ones included in the Energy Mindfulness kit.
- Prepare your guided meditation CD.
- Place meaningful personal items on your platform.
- Help reduce brain fog with a sage spray.
- Light a candle for focus.
- Choose a stone or crystal that you can focus on. There are Chakra healing crystals included in the kit if you want to use those.
- Repeat your affirmation if not using a guided meditation.
- Relax and let the stress leave your body. Focus on the present moment.
Practicing meditation with focus can help you reduce stress and anxiety, increase awareness, and develop the ability to stay in the present moment. With these tips, you’ll be on your way to developing a successful meditation practice.
Check out Energy Mindfulness for more meditation tools.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.