Last Updated on October 19, 2019 by Ellen Christian
Looking for decoden craft ideas? I’ve been looking for Halloween gift ideas for tweens and teens because it seems like everything I find in the store is geared towards little kids. I still like to give the kids a small gift for Halloween even when they are past the age where they’re interested in stickers and little plastic toys. Using some craft supplies from Mod Podge, I created a fun Halloween gift.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Decoden Craft Ideas for Tweens for Halloween
I’ve been fascinated by decoden lately and have been wanting to try some simple decoden craft ideas. I love learning new types of crafts especially when they’re easy to do. I’m not someone who has hours to devote to one craft project. But, if I can make something cute relatively quickly, that’s my type of craft.
What is decoden?
If you’re not familiar with decoden, it’s really the combination of two words – deco for decorated and den for which is short for denwa which means phone in Japanese. This cute craft craze started out as a way to decorate your cell phone case. It quickly became a fun way to decorate any small object whether that’s an Altoid tin, a trinket box or a compact mirror. There are a lot of decoden craft ideas on Pinterest if you want more projects.
Decoden is the art of decorating with small trinkets, glitters, rhinestones, beads, etc. Basically, the more sparkly and over the top the better. Because I’m relatively new to decoden, my project is fairly simple. You can cover the entire surface of the item if you like or leave enough space to see the surface below.
This is what you need to get started on these decoden craft ideas. Feel free to adjust the colors, types of molds, and the markers and trinkets if you want to. You don’t need to stick to my design.
- Mod Podge Collage Clay in Vanilla which is white
- Mod Podge Silicone Craft Mat to protect your craft surface
- Folk Art Multi-Surface Neon Acrylic Paint in Purple #2977
- Mod Podge High Temp Mini Mod Melts Glitters or metallic– Silver
- Hot Glue Gun (NOT low temp)
- Markers – pink & black to do my design
- Mod Podge Mod Molds Trinkets #25130
- Altoid tin, clean
- Rhinestones in purples
- Mini putty knife to apply Collage Clay
Decoden craft ideas directions
- Insert a silver Mod Podge High Temp Mini Mod Melt into your glue gun. Let it warm up and very carefully fill the skull cavity on the Mod Mold with it. Allow to dry for 10 minutes and pop out. Color the bow pink or purple and the eyes black. Repeat for as many skulls as you want.
- Mix the Mod Podge Collage Clay with a small amount of Folk Art Multi-Surface Neon Acrylic Paint in Purple. Stir until well mixed.
- Using a mini putty knife, spread the Purple Collage Clay on the top of the Altoid tin like you are frosting a cupcake. If you want more traditional colors for your decoden craft ideas, you can use orange for Halloween instead.
- While the Collage Clay is still wet, apply the sequins and the skull to the top covering as much of the surface as you like.
- Allow to dry completely & fill with something cute like lip balm and mini nail polish.
More decoden craft ideas
So, if you’re looking for a few more decoden craft ideas, check out these projects. Why not make this cute decoden phone case. I love the design they chose. Or, try these unicorn ornaments that were made using decoden. They’d be great for Christmas or just to decorate a room. Get the directions here.
So, don’t be afraid to get creative with this one. If you want to use a different color or a wooden box instead of an Altoid tin, you can do that. Choose whatever types of rhinestones and embellishments you enjoy. The idea is to let your creativity come through. You could also find little mini skulls in black and use white rhinestones to make this a bit more traditional for Halloween.
Finally, you may also like these Halloween posts:
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.