Did you know that the heat from chili peppers helps combat nasal congestion and even has antibacterial properties?
I kid you not. Somehow after my recent trip to San Francisco, I managed to come down with an awful cold and the congestion is driving me crazy. When that happens, nothing works better than a huge bowl of my family favorite easy chili in the crock pot.
Family Favorite Easy Chili in the Crock Pot
There are some days that I just do not have time to make dinner at dinner time. I’ll be honest, there are days I send my husband out for pizza for him and the kids. I try not to because I know it’s not the healthiest choice, but it happens. I try to have healthy alternatives on hand and when I plan ahead, I can get something in the crock pot. Chili in the crock pot is one of my favorites because it’s gluten fee and everyone enjoys it.
The guys have their chili with a roll or bread. Sarah enjoys her chili on rice. I enjoy mine plain – even though I know beans aren’t Paleo. It’s a nice treat every now and then and it’s a sure fire cure for my sinus congestion.
(To get the flavors really mixed up well, I saute the ground beef and vegetables in olive oil before I toss it in the crock pot. If you are pressed for time, you can skip this step.)
10 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
18 minTotal Time
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
- 1 green pepper chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 3 10 ounce jars of salsa (however hot you like it)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 small can of green chilis, drained
- If you want to, saute the ground beef, pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and onion in oil. Then put into the crock pot. Otherwise just put it all in the crock pot except the chilis.
- Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 8-10.
- Add the chilis 30 minutes before it's done.
For more easy dinner ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Easy chili in the crock pot by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Homemade pizza by Life with Lisa
- Grilled cheese that’ll make the ghosts appear by Champagne Living
- Quick and easy dinner for Halloween by Controlled Confusion
Would your brand like to participate in #FallFun31? Fill out this form for more information.