Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These easy mini berry tarts are delicious! Did you ever notice that portion control is a challenge? Seriously. I occasionally splurge on a dessert especially on holidays and at family events. That piece of pie or piece of cake that ends up on my plate somehow manages to be much larger than one portion. It’s not necessarily that I cut a larger piece but that the pieces are pre-cut already. These easy mini berry tarts are the perfect solution. The portion control is already there.
Easy Mini Berry Tarts
After my Mom’s gallbladder stone removal, she’s trying to be careful about her weight and how healthy she eats. I wanted to be able to provide a dessert for the 4th of July without tempting her with more than she wanted to allow herself to have. These easy mini berry tarts are low in sugar and she can enjoy just one or two without having too many. The mini muffin tin is a perfect size.
The Magic of Mini Pies: Sweet and Savory Miniature Pies and TartsLaminas 24 Cup Silicone Mini Muffin Pan, 34.5X24-cm, RedUSA 4th of July Picnic Flag Apron Fighter Pilot in the Kitchen – Grill – Kitchen – Proud to Be an American…
I started with a pre-made pie crust because I hate making pie crust. Actually, I have nothing against making pie crust. It’s the rolling out of the pie crust I struggle with. If you like rolling things out, feel free to start with a scratch pie crust recipe.
To keep this healthier, I opted for fresh fruit instead of a canned pie filling. Canned pie fillings are loaded with sugar – like HUGE amounts of sugar and that turns this into a less healthy dessert than it needs to be. Fresh berries are very easy to work with. For a change, you could try making these berry tarts with puff pastry.
How much you need will depend on how many you want to make. Adjust your quantities as needed.
- 1 packaged pie crust sheet unrolled
- Strawberries or raspberries
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- Sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Unroll the pre-made pie crust carefully.
- Cut out 3" circles from the pie crust.
- Gently press each circle into a mini muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, mix the berries (individually or together) with enough cornstarch to coat them. If you want you can add a bit of sugar but it's really not necessary.
- Fill each mini tart with the berry mixture without over filling.
- Cut out a star shaped piece of pie crust to top each tart. If you're not doing a patriotic theme, you can cut out a few strips or any shape at all.
- Beat the beaten egg with the water and using a pastry brush, brush some across each star.
- Bake at 425F for 10 minutes.
I didn’t have a 3″ cookie cutter but the top of my water bottle worked just fine. The stars I cut by hand … I know they’re a bit off but I didn’t have a star cookie cutter either. Creativity is a must some days.
K&S Artisan The BEST Heavy Duty Deluxe Biscuit Cutter Set 11 Piece Round Cutter Set Pastry Cookie Cutters 304 Stainless Steel Circle Mold For Dough Donut English Muffin Fondant Crumpet Ring and BakingR & M Mini All Star 7 Piece Cookie Cutter Set, TinR & M 8 Piece Great Set of Patriotic Theme Cookie Cutters – Assorted Shapes 4.5
These mini berry pies are a really easy snack or dessert that takes just a few minutes to make. It has no added sugar unless you choose to add it and it only has to bake for 10 minutes which means the oven won’t be on a long time heating up the kitchen.
I hope you have a chance to try my mini mixed berry tarts. Looking for more? Check out a few more of my berry posts. Or, try my puff pastry vegetable tart. For more July 4th & Patriotic ideas, check out a few posts from my favorite bloggers:
- Patriotic DIY Candy Dish by A Mom’s Take
- How to Host a 4th of July Parade by Mom on the Side
- Patriotic Pudding Cups by Better in Bulk
- Perfect Southern Sweet Tea by Greta’s Day
- Patriotic String Art Craft by This Mama Loves
- DIY Beaded Flag Charm Craft for Kids by Cait’s Beauty Blog
- Patriotic Red, White and Blue Mason Jar Planters by Home and Garden Cafe
- Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes by Our Family World
- Crockpot Bean Mix by Day by Day in Our World
- Treats for your 4th of July Cookout by Momma D Jane
- Greek Pasta Salad, a simple summer side by About a Mom
- Beet and Blueberry Salad by Upstate Ramblings
- Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches by Mom Does it All
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.