Last Updated on June 18, 2022 by Ellen Christian
I love upcycling and finding new uses for things I already have at home. There’s just way too much stuff that’s going into the landfill these days and even we recycle things, it uses resources to recycle them. It’s better to upcycle the item and find another use for it than it is for it to head to the landfill. I always seem to have too many glass jars that I’m not using so I decided to find a few upcycled jar crafts that I could use them for.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
DIY Glass Cloche Crafts | Upcycled Jar Crafts
I found this glass jar at TJMaxx a while ago and I was going to use it for something but I never did. It got pushed to the back of the cupboard and as I was decluttering the kitchen, I came across it. I don’t have anything I need to store in it since my pantry is already loaded with glass jars I’m using for that reason. I love the unique shape of the jar and I decided it would make a cute glass cloche.
In case you’re not familiar with the term, a cloche is a glass or plastic covering that is generally used to force plants. You set it out in the garden over your seedlings in the spring to protect them from the cold temperatures. That’s the official definition but DIY glass cloche crafts can be for just about anything. I’ve seen people create little villages of mushrooms for tiny fairies to live in. I’ve seen people create little worlds of Lego people. I’m not quite that creative but I decided to bring a bit of the spring inside, I would create something fun with butterflies.
I found these adorable butterflies at a discount on Amazon and I love how bright and colorful they are. All I have outside right now is snow and I am really missing the colorful butterflies and flowers.
- Glass jar with a lid
- 3D Butterfly Stickers
- A piece of styrofoam cut to fit inside the lid of the jar
- Felt cut to cover the styrofoam
- Crafting wire
- Artificial greenery
- Cut the piece of styrofoam to a size to fit inside the lid of your jar.
- Cut the felt to cover the styrofoam. You can use whatever color you like: green for grass, brown for dirt or black to blend in.
- Glue the felt to the styrofoam and then to the inside of the glass jar lid.
- Poke thin wire through the felt into the styrofoam and carefully adhere the 3D butterfly stickers to the wire using the sticky adhesive circle enclosed.
- Add as many 3D butterflies as will fit in your jar. Carefully add some artificial greenery to the bottom to disguise the wires.
- CAREFULLY put the top on. This may require a few tries.
I love upcycling jars into different types of crafts and I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite cloches that I’ve made. It’s really easy to do and I think the end result is amazing. For more upcycled jar crafts, check out my jute wrapped succulent craft.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.