Last Updated on April 4, 2022 by Ellen Christian
Mayo Cucumber Salad is one of our favorite salad recipes. Find out how to make this Pennsylvania Dutch cucumber salad recipe right here.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We end up with so many cukes in our garden that I have come up with a bunch of different recipes to use them up. Have you had a chance to try any of them?
Tips for Making Cucumber Salad With Mayo
This really is a simple salad recipe to make. If you have a lot of leftover cukes from the garden or you got a great deal at the farmer’s market, this is a wonderful recipe to use them in.
If you want to save time on meal planning, you can make this salad ahead of time the day before. Then, just stir it before you serve it.
I’ve heard this recipe called by so many different names. So, if you’re wondering if this is an Amish Cucumber Salad or a Pennsylvania Dutch Cucumber Salad, yes it is.
You are going to love this easy quinoa salad recipe! Make this healthy summer salad with cukes, tomatoes, and feta cheese today and see.
This Pipino Salad recipe is one of our favorite cucumber dill salads. It has chunks of fresh vegetables, a creamy dressing, and fresh dill.
Tools / equipment needed
- Mandolin slicer (this is a huge help for getting even, thin slices)
Doubling the recipe
You can easily double the recipe when you make this salad. But, be sure that you don’t add too much mayonnaise, or it may be runny.
What’s the best onion to use with cucumbers?
This recipe uses a sweet yellow onion, and I love how it comes out. If you don’t have this type of onion, you can use another type. But, too much may give it a bit more of a bite.
What types of cucumbers should I use?
This recipe uses standard garden cucumbers because it’s the most commonly grown variety in my area. But, if you want to use the seedless English variety instead, there’s no reason that you can’t do that.
What can I substitute for mayo?
This recipe is traditionally made with mayonnaise. But, you can substitute some or all of it for sour cream or Greek yogurt.
You can use whatever type of mayonnaise you like from the store, but be sure not to use salad dressing. Or, you can make your olive oil mayonnaise from scratch.
How to make cucumber salad with mayo
- Peel and slice the cucumbers and onions thinly.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels and remove the water from the cucumbers.
- Refrigerate for three hours.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and combine.
How long does this salad keep?
You can keep this cucumber salad with mayo in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. The liquid may sink to the bottom as it sits in the refrigerator.
If it is too runny when you want to serve it, just stir it a few times. You can add more mayonnaise to the salad if you want to.
More Pennsylvania Dutch recipes
I have always been in love with Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. So, if you want another recipe to try, here are a few ideas.
- Schnitz Un Knepp is also called Ham with Apple Dumblings.
- You may want to try making dandelion greens with a warm bacon dressing.
- This Apple Butter recipe can be made in your slow cooker.
- Whoopie pies are a delicious Amish dessert recipe.
- Faschnats or homemade donuts are another popular recipe.
- 3 to 4 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly snipped chives
- 2 teaspoons freshly snipped dill
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare a large baking sheet with layers of paper toweling.
- Peel and thinly slice cucumbers with a mandoline grater.
- Create a single layer of sliced cucumbers on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Add another layer of paper towels before repeating cucumbers.
- Refrigerate the tray for 3 to 4 hours.
- Press the top of the paper towels to remove any excess water. Transfer sliced cucumbers to a bowl. Add the sliced onions.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, chives, dill, and black pepper. Add to cucumbers and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Joyoldelf Gourmet Herb Scissors Set - Master Culinary Multipurpose Cutting Shears with Stainless Steel 5 Blades, Stripping Tool, Safety Cover and Cleaning Comb for Cutting Cilantro Onion Salad
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Big Sheet
Mueller Austria Premium Quality V-Pro Multi Blade Adjustable Mandoline Cheese/Vegetable Slicer, Cutter, Shredder with Precise Maximum Adjustability
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.