Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on December 17, 2020 by Ellen Christian
These Cherry Garcia Cookies are a delicious soft cookie with maraschino cherries and chunks of semi-sweet chocolate. Make a batch today.
I love making homemade cookies and have shared a few of my favorites here in the past. I like to make a variety of different types and freeze them so I can enjoy them over the holidays.
Cherry Garcia Cookies
While I bake year-round, I most often make homemade cookies around the holidays. We enjoy giving a plate of cookies to friends and family if we see them.
And, it’s always nice to drop off a plate of Christmas treats at work or at places like the post office just to share. Sometimes I add in a bit of my peanut butter fudge too.
Of course, with Christmas only a few days away, I was really looking for Christmas cherry cookies. I love how festive these look and how easy these Cherry Garcia cookies are to make.
These sugar cookies with maple frosting are one of our favorite Christmas cookie recipes. Try this unique Vermont sugar cookie recipe today.
This Honey Bunches of Oats Cookies recipe is one of my favorite Honey Bunches of Oats recipes. Make this easy homemade cookie recipe today.
Have you ever tried coffee creamer cookies? It can be such a challenge coming up with gluten-free recipes, but you are going to LOVE these Gluten-Free French Vanilla Sugar Cookies!
Have you started baking Christmas cookies yet? These chocolate crinkle top cookies are one of our favorites! Make these easy Christmas cookies today.
How to make Cherry Garcia cookies
You can make these easy cookies with maraschino cherries inside by following the recipe below.
- Mix the dough
- Stir in the cherries and chocolate chips
- Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour.
- Scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Tools / equipment needed
You don’t need a lot of fancy equipment to make Cherry Garcia cookies.
- Parchment paper
- A stand mixer (or a bowl and wooden spoon)
Can I use the green cherries?
You bet. You can use red or green maraschino cherries. Or, make the cookies really festive and use both in one recipe. It will still be delicious.
This recipe is inspired by Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream which is typically red cherries. But, green ones will work as well.
You can also add in chopped walnuts, almonds, or pecans if you want a cherry cookie with nuts.
We’ve been doing a lot of our grocery shopping with Thrive Market so we can stay out of the stores.
Storage and freezing
You can store these Cherry Garcia cookies in an airtight container for up to one week. You don’t need to refrigerate them unless you want to.
To freeze, place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer until they are frozen. Then, take them off the sheet and place them in a freezer bag. They will stay good for up to six months.
To defrost, place them on the counter on a plate for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Tips for making Cherry Garcia cookies
- If your dough is too sticky, try adding one tablespoon of flour to the dough at a time until it’s the right consistency. Don’t add too much.
- Let the chopped cherries drain on paper towels so they don’t add moisture to your cookie dough.
- Cookies will spread on the cookie sheet when they bake if your dough is not refrigerated. Pace it back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes if this happens.
- Your cookies are done when the edges start to turn a light golden brown.
- To remove cookies from the cookie sheet easily, lift the entire piece of parchment paper off and place it on your cooling rack.
Dipped Cherry Garcia cookies
If you want to dip these cookies, simply melt semi-sweet chocolate and dip a completely cooled cookie halfway into the chocolate. Allow them to cool completely on parchment paper and enjoy.
Get your free “How to Bake” 8 Week e-book Series.
If you love cherry recipes, you might like this Cherry Almond Brunch Bread.
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or use a seasoned baking stone.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Scrape down the sides.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract, beating until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Stir in the cherries and chocolate chips.
- For best results, refrigerate the dough for at least one hour. This is not required but will keep the cookies from spreading.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop the dough in even mounds at least one inch apart. Warm cookie dough will spread more than cold cookie dough.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges are brown and the middle is set but not completely solid. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 to 7 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Tip: When I move the cookies from the baking sheet to the wire rack, I lift the parchment paper and move the entire thing at once to avoid breaking the cookies with a cookie spatula.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.