Last Updated on March 11, 2023 by Ellen Christian
If you’re looking for a frugal dinner idea, make a batch of Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Scramble. Try one of my favorite scrambled eggs recipes.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheesy Broccoli And Potato Scramble
I’m always trying to make some of my favorite recipes just a little bit more healthy. While I’d love to eat a huge plate of scrambled eggs, loaded with cheese and piled high with hash browns, my hips get bigger just thinking about it.
That doesn’t mean that I have to totally give up my favorite recipes, I just need to make a few tweaks to turn what was a high fat, high calorie meal into something that is a little bit healthier. I don’t want to give up all my favorite foods, I just want to eat smarter.
I found this Cheesy Broccoli And Potato Scramble recipe in the cookbook, Recipe Rehab based on the hit TV show, which slashes the fat from family classic recipes.
The original recipe called for egg substitute but with ducks and chickens just sitting out there in the back yard producing more eggs than I can use, I used real eggs in my recipe instead of an egg substitute.As a note, I did not serve with toast since I had the carbohydrates from the potato already.
Cheesy Broccoli And Potato Scramble
If you're looking for a frugal dinner idea, make a batch of Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Scramble. Try one of my favorite scrambled eggs recipes.
- 2 small red potatoes, washed and cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 4 slices multigrain bread, toasted for serving
- Put a deep skillet over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add the potatoes and water. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil. Steam until the potatoes begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the broccoli, stirring to combine with the potatoes, and cover. Cook for 4 more minutes until both vegetables are just fork tender. Drain the vegetables in a colander, wipe out the pan with a paper towel, and return to medium high heat.
- Coat the skillet with oil. When the oil is hot, add the cooked broccoli, potato, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until the vegetables begin to brown on the edges, about 2 minutes. Pour the egg substitute. Using a rubber spatula, drag the eggs from the outside of the pan to the center to create fluffy curds.
- When the eggs are just about set, sprinkle in the cheese, and dill. Remove the pan from the heat. Divide the scramble onto four plates with 1 piece of toast on each.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 658Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 1006mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 10gSugar: 12gProtein: 48g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.
16 thoughts on “Cheesy Broccoli And Potato Scramble”