Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’ve been looking for a chocolate cream pie recipe without eggs, you have found it! Many of the chocolate cream pie recipes either use eggs or start with a pudding mix. For those with food intolerances, that can be a problem. Thankfully, this recipe uses neither of those things. And, it’s still very easy to make.
Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe Without Eggs
Many pie recipes include eggs or egg whites as part of the ingredients. And, if you’re allergic to eggs, this can make finding a dessert a challenge. With the holidays only a few days away, this is an easy last-minute dessert idea that you can offer friends and family.
What is chocolate pie made of?
A chocolate pie will have a bottom crust of some sort and a chocolate filling. In some cases, there will also be a whipped cream or meringue topping. The pie crust can either be a traditional pie crust. Or, you can make a graham cracker or chocolate cookie crust. The chocolate pie filling can be made from scratch in much the same way you make homemade pudding. Or, it can be made with a box of pudding mix.
Now, if you want to make a chocolate cream pie recipe with Oreo crust, you can simply substitute it for the graham cracker crust that’s used in this recipe. There are no other modifications needed. You will just pour the filling into the Oreo crust rather than the graham cracker crust. You should be able to find them at your local grocery store in the same aisle as traditional pie crusts and flour. Check out this recipe to make your own Oreo crust.
So, if you have ever tried Hershey’s chocolate cream pie recipe, this tastes almost exactly like it. It’s mom’s old fashion chocolate pie, the kind we used to have after church on the weekends. And, it makes a wonderful dessert for any time of the year. But, it’s especially good for the holidays where you want something easy and decadent.
Topping for chocolate cream pie
So, we typically put homemade whipped cream on top of our chocolate cream pie. But, I know that some people like to make a meringue topping like the type you put on lemon pie. So, homemade whipped cream is egg-free. But, meringue is not. So, if you want a chocolate cream pie recipe without eggs, use whipped cream. Making whipped cream is really easy to do and so much better than store-bought.
Does chocolate cream pie need to be refrigerated?
It does, yes. Because chocolate cream pie contains dairy, it should be refrigerated to stay good. It should be refrigerated for four hours after you cook it. Then, once you are done serving it to friends and family, it should be covered or stored in a pie keeper and returned to the refrigerator. It should stay good for two to three days after it is made. Be sure that you cover it so that the top doesn’t dry out.
As a tip, you can add the whipped cream to each piece as you serve it rather than topping the whole pie at once. You can also add fresh fruit to the top if you serve it during the summer. Or, if fresh berries are not in season, you can add maraschino cherries for a bit of color. Or, if you prefer you can sprinkle crushed up candy canes to make it a bit more festive.
So, when you make this chocolate cream pie recipe without eggs, you can either use a store-bought graham cracker crust or a homemade one. To be honest with you, I really dislike making pie crust. So, I almost always buy them from the store. But, if you enjoy making your own crust, I have included the ingredients and the instructions in the recipe below. You can do it either way. Make sure you scroll to the end for the printable recipe.
Now, if you enjoy pie recipes, I have several that you might want to try.
- Sweet potato pie recipe
- Apple rhubarb pie recipe
- Rhubarb custard pie
- Gluten-free Italian Easter pie
- Gluten-free chess pie
- Peach hand pies
- Cheryl Ladd’s pumpkin pie
- Aunt Jane’s strawberry pie
- German apple pie
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 2/3 cup milk, divided
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the graham cracker pie crust in a 9-inch baking dish. Add graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Mix the ingredients together well and then press down on the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup of the milk and allow it to sit for a2-3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, stir the cocoa and sugar together. Add to the saucepan and stir to incorporate.
- Cook over low heat while stirring constantly until mixture boils. Remove the pan from heat and add in the butter, stirring until melted.
- Blend in the remaining milk and vanilla.
- Cool in the refrigerator to thicken, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to set.
- Beat whipping cream until thick and then carefully fold into the chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust and refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
Refrigerate any unused pie immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 106mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 5g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.