Last Updated on June 24, 2019 by Ellen Christian
When I was little, I remember stopping at the store and buying fruit hand pies. Hand pies are another name for turnovers depending on where you live. They are basically a single serving size fruit turnover that has had the edges sealed all the way around with the filling inside. When I learned that one of the movies for November for the Netflix Stream Team was James and the Giant Peach, I knew I was going to make this peach hand pie recipe.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You may also like:
Peach Hand Pie Recipe
There are so many great movies that began as books. I remember reading books like a Wrinkle in Time and The Velveteen Rabbit when I was a child. Now, they are available as movies too. In honor of James and the Giant Peach, I made this Peach Hand Pie recipe for you to enjoy.
MAZIMARK–Plastic Pie Bread Cake Slicer Sheet Server Cutting Cutter Kitchen Gadget HotEasy Gadgets Kitchen Bakery Tool Kit Cookie Pie Pastry Lattice Roller Cutter HOTAlton Brown Style Black Pie Bird Blackbird Lead-Free Glazed Ceramic Pie Vent New
- 1 box of rolled pie crust (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup diced peaches or peach pie filling
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the diced peaches, sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Unroll the pie crust.
- Using a 3 1/2" cookie cutter (or edge of a glass) dipped in flour, cut circles from the dough.
- Knead and roll out any scraps of dough until you have as many circles as possible.
- Arrange half of them about 1" apart from each other on the baking sheet. These are the bottoms. Poke each one with a fork a few times to create vents.
- Drop one heaping teaspoonful of filling into the center of each circle. top with one of the perforated circles of dough and use a fork to tightly crimp the edges.
- Optional: Whisk together the egg yolk and cream. Using a pastry brush, brush it on top of the hand pies.
- Bake 17-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling through the vents. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
James and the Giant Peach is the perfect movie to watch while enjoying your Peach Hand Pie recipe. If you haven’t seen the movie, James spills a magic bag of crocodile tongues and finds himself with a giant peach that flies him off to strange places. This is a Tim Burton movie so you know it’s going to be fun to watch. The movie just brings the book to life and despite the giant talking insects, I really enjoyed watching it quite a bit. It’s a great movie for the tween crowd or anyone who enjoyed reading the book.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.