Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
ReplaceMyContacts Com shared this helpful information with me. I’ve had glasses since I was about three years old. Everyone in my family has worn glasses at least part of their lives except for my children. I’ve considered getting contact lenses many times but have always wondered when I should replace my contacts.
Replace My Contacts
Just like with regular eyeglasses, you need to have a prescription to get a pair of contact lenses. What you may not know is that there are several different types of contacts. Each type of contact lenses has a different set of rules for how to care for them and how to replace them.
Contact lenses are often a good choice for people who don’t want to wear glasses and aren’t interested in LASIK surgery. Did you know that it is generally considered safe for your child to wear contact lenses starting at the age of 12?
Types of Contact Lenses
- Soft lenses are made from gel-like plastics called hydro-gels. They are very thin and pliable.
- Silicone hydro-gel lenses are more pourous than soft lenses. This is the most common lens type prescribed in the US.
- Gas permeable lenses are more rigid than hydro-gels but still allow oxygen to pass through them. These provide sharper optics than the hydro-gel lenses.
- Hybrid contact lenses offer the comfort of hydrogels with the sharper optics provided by gas permeable lenses.
- PMMA lenses are made from a rigid material that is used as a glass substitute. These hard contact lenses are not generally prescribed today.
How Long Should I Wear My Contacts
- Daily wear lenses should be removed every night.
- Extended wear lenses can be left in overnight and are generally safe to leave in for up to seven days.
When Should I Replace My Contacts
No matter how well you care for your contact lenses, they will eventually need to be replaced. This will help to prevent the build-up of lens deposits and contamination which may cause an eye infection. ReplaceMyContacts Com offered a variety of contact styles and types.
- Daily disposable lenses should be discarded after a single use at the end of the day.
- Disposable lenses should be discarded no more than two weeks from when you begin to use them.
- Frequent replacement lenses should be discarded every month or at the most every quarter.
- Traditional reusable lenses should be discarded after 6 months.
Proper care of your contact lenses will have an impact on how long they last. They should be cared for and cleaned according to the directions on the box of lenses. At the least, you will need a multipurpose cleaning solution to keep them clean and germ free and a lens case to store them in.
What happened to replacemycontacts com? They have closed their doors. The Replace My Contacts Phone Number is no longer in service.
You may also like:
- Aging eye problems and the importance of vision care
- How your diet effects your eye health
- 10 tips for healthy eyes
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.