Last Updated on June 24, 2019 by Ellen Christian
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for the Certified Angus Beef® brand. I received product samples to facilitate my review and a promotional item as a thank you for participating.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I admit that one of my favorite comfort foods is beef stew. Normally, I make beef stew in the slow cooker. I don’t think I’ve ever made a beef stew any other way. When I was asked to create two beef stew recipes for you using Certified Angus Beef®, I was intrigued to find that neither of them were made in the slow cooker. The first recipe I created was the Hearty Beef Stew from the program Recipe Rehab. I made a few minor changes to keep it Paleo and in line with what we eat.
Paleo Beef Stew Recipe with Certified Angus Beef®
When you see the Certified Angus Beef® brand logo, the beef has met ten standards for premium quality, including abundant marbling. Marbling is the little white flecks within the red meat. These melt during cooking, basting beef from the inside out for mouthwatering flavor and juiciness. The brand is a cut above USDA Prime, Choice and Select grades.
Beef contains Zinc, Iron and Protein – nutrients that are essential to a healthy, balanced diet. Beef is a great source of B vitamins which promote growth and help maintain health. There are 29 cuts of beef that are lean and if you are looking for lean beef, you should look for round or loin in the name. Cooking from scratch with healthy ingredients is one of the ways I try to keep my family healthy. When our garden is producing, we get most of our vegetables from our garden or the local Farmer’s Market. When snow is covering the ground (like today), I pick up organic vegetables at our local food coop.
as adapted from a Recipe Rehab Hearty Beef Stew recipe
15 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 2 1/2 lb Certified Angus Beef sirloin-tip, trimmed of excess fat, cut in 3/4 - 1 in cubes and patted dry on paper towels
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 5 cups organic vegetable broth
- Grapeseed oil spray
- 1 lb yellow onions, diced in 3/4 in pieces
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 6 oz fresh shitake mushrooms, stems removed and quartered
- 6 celery stalks, cut into 3/4 in pieces
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 oz organic tomato paste
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb cauliflower, cut into florets
- In 2 quart mixing bowl, whisk flour and beef broth together until any lumps are gone.
- Spray pot or dutch oven (6 quart) with oil and place on medium high heat. When pot is heated, brown beef in three batches, adding more spray for each batch. Do not over crowd pot, its bottom should be visible.
- Spray non stick saute pan with oil and heat on medium high. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until brown and soft. Remove pan and reserve; repeat with carrots, cooking until browned.
- Once beef is browned; add mushrooms to Dutch oven and cook for 1 minute.
- Return browned beef to Dutch oven; add caramelized onions and carrots, as well as celery, garlic, tomato paste, thyme leaves, and ground pepper. Stir in flour and vegetable broth mixture.
- Bring pot to a simmer, then reduce to low heat and cook for 45 minutes or up to 2 hours if time permits. The longer the stew simmers, the more tender the beef with become.) While stew is simmering, occasionally check it and skim any excess fat from the top.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a simmer in large pot. Place cauliflower florets in simmering water and cook 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep cauliflower warm.
- Divide cauliflower equally among 8 bowls, then ladle stew over cauliflower.
This Paleo Beef Stew Recipe was adapted from a Hearty Beef Stew recipe provided by Chef Keoni Chang. You can watch the award winning Recipe Rehab on CBS Saturday mornings; check local listings for air time. Make sure you tune in this Saturday to find out who the winner is! Have you ever watched Recipe Rehab?
Check back on Friday for the second beef stew recipe from Recipe Rehab and to find out which of these two recipes was our family favorite. Will we all like the same recipe?
You may also like:
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.
46 thoughts on “Paleo Beef Stew Recipe with Certified Angus Beef®”