Last Updated on December 5, 2022 by Ellen Christian
Make this Baked Pearl Onions Au Gratin recipe today. This easy baked onions recipe is a delicious side dish for the holidays or entertaining.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baked Pearl Onions Au Gratin Recipe
This onion recipe is the perfect cool weather recipe. I knew this was the recipe I needed to make when Birds Eye sent me coupons to try out some of their vegetables.
While I was very familiar with their frozen broccoli, cauliflower and mixed vegetables, I had never tried Birds Eye Pearl Onions.
Did you know…..90% of kids don’t eat the recommended amount of veggies? Birds Eye is trying to decrease that number by helping families make dinnertime more fun. As part of this effort, they’re introducing the Rewrite the Dinnertime Rules program. This program encourages families to introduce small changes to make mealtime a fun event for kids.
What are pearl onions?
I always thought that a pearl onion was just a small onion. After doing some research, I learned that a pearl onion is actually a close relative of the leek.
It is different from common onions because it has only a single storage leaf, similar to cloves of garlic rather than a traditional onion.
When I grew up, the way I was most familiar with eating pearl onions was pickled. I absolutely loved this onion recipe and will definitely be making it again.
This Baked Pearl Onions Au Gratin recipe featuring Birds Eye White Pearl Onions is perfect as a side dish with a roast. Or, it would work well as a vegetable for your Thanksgiving or Christmas meal.
You may also enjoy these recipes.
- 1 bag of frozen Birds Eye White Pearl Onions (14 oz)
- 4 pcs of bacon, fried crispy and crumbled
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cups breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook the bacon until it is crisp. Drain the bacon and crumble.
- Save 1 tbsp of the bacon fat.
- Saute the scallions and garlic in the butter until soft
- Add the heavy whipping cream to the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat until it reduces.
- Pour the Birds Eye White Pearl Onions into individual ramekins or a casserole dish.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream over the pearl onions.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the reserved bacon fat.
- Sprinkle it over the top and bake for 30 minutes until they are hot and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.