Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wondering how to make natural Halloween makeup? Face it. What is Halloween without dressing up as something you’re not? It would be the same as any other day of the week. Letting yourself act silly for a while and dressing up is half the fun. But, there are dangers in dressing up that you might not be aware of. You can learn more and find a simple DIY to make your own makeup below.
Natural Halloween Makeup
So, everyone loves to dress up but what fun is it to pretend to be Hello Kitty or a Zombie from The Walking Dead if you cannot paint your face to match your costume? Before you head to the store to pick up a tube of Halloween makeup, there are some things you should know about what you’re getting ready to put all over your (and your child’s) face.
- A lot of the Halloween makeup available today contains butylated hydroxyanisol and triethanolamine. I had no idea what these were before I did a little research, but I knew I didn’t want them on my face.
- Butylated hydroxyanisol and triethanolamine have been linked to cancer and hormone disruption in the research I’ve read. There are too many studies to list, but if you Google the terms, you’ll see what I mean.
- Since we absorb up to 80% of what we put on our skin, these are ingredients to be avoided at all cost.
- Heavy metals – primarily lead – are often found in Halloween makeup – even Halloween makeup intended for kids. Scientists have stated there is NO safe level of lead to expose our children to.
- Certain temporary tattoos contain additives that are not approved by the FDA. Finally, who remembers the little girl last year that got horrible chemical burns on her face from using an eye tattoo as part of her Halloween makeup?
Natural Halloween Makeup DIY
So, it is fairly simple to make your own natural Halloween makeup. You can use this base for almost any type of face paint design. Begin with these ingredients. It’s best to make it up right before you need it since it has no preservatives. You won’t want to store it for a long time. Refrigerate it if temperatures are warm in your area. You don’t want the coconut oil to melt in the heat.
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Coconut oil
- 1/2 Tsp natural cold cream. Weleda makes a great natural cold cream you can find on Amazon.
- Natural food coloring. These food dyes come from plants and vegetables and are totally safe.
Mix the cornstarch and natural cold cream together. Add one or two drops of natural food coloring. Be very careful not to add too much or it may stain your skin. Apply a thin layer of coconut oil to your face first. Then apply the natural Halloween makeup.
Finally, after Halloween, remove with an oil-based cleanser. I like Burt’s Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser. You can find it at most drugstores.
Organic Halloween makeup
If you want organic Halloween makeup, it might be easiest to purchase it ready-made. It would be difficult to find organic versions of everything you need to make your own. This Go Green Face Paint Kit has a selection of different colors you can use to create whatever type of face design you want. It’s intended for children but you could definitely use it for adults as well. It has 15 different child-safe colors so you can really get creative with this one.
Or, Elegant Minerals Face Paint is all-natural and non-toxic. It’s a great choice if you don’t want to make your own natural Halloween makeup. It’s not organic, but it is highly rated and has fantastic reviews. So, you can check it out here. You can apply it easily since it’s cream-based. This is really important when you’re trying to apply face makeup to a wiggly toddler.
More Halloween articles
So, if you love Halloween, you might want to try a few of these Halloween ideas.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.