Last Updated on September 12, 2022 by Ellen Christian
Homemade cream of mushroom soup is another basic that is very simple for you to make yourself. Make a batch of my DIY cream of mushroom soup today.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
There is no need to buy canned cream of mushroom soup at the grocery store. This homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe can be ready, start to finish, in about 25 minutes.
It’s very simple to make and uses ingredients you probably already have. You can use this same basic recipe to make cream of celery soup or any other cream soup. Just substitute the other ingredient for the mushrooms.
There are so many ways that you can make convenience foods from scratch. I make various condiments when I have time, including salad dressing and mustard.
I love to can so I make pickles and jam when I have extra garden produce.
What is homemade cream of mushroom soup made of?
The basic ingredients are flour, butter, milk or cream, and fresh mushrooms. You can add extra herbs and spices to change the flavor.
There are a lot of homemade soup recipes you can make for your family. I recommend you invest in a good cookbook to make the process easier.
I found this recipe for homemade cream of mushroom soup in The Soupbox Cookbook. But, this is a straightforward mushroom soup recipe to start with.
As a note, I did not have any shallots and couldn’t find them in my local grocery store so I left them out. I’m sure you could substitute onions in yours if you wanted, but it was very flavorful the way I made it.
You can vary the cream of mushroom soup ingredients to use up what you have on hand. Have you ever tried making your own homemade cream of mushroom soup?
- Crockpot ground beef minestrone soup
- Homemade cream of tomato soup
- Wild mushroom soup recipe
- Ice cream maker with no rocksalt
- 15 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, thinly slice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and a tsp of salt and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add thyme and parsley and lower heat to medium low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the heavy cream into the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 821mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 10g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.