One of my all time favorite comfort foods in the world is a grilled cheese sandwich. Whether you call it a grilled cheese or an Apple Cheddar And Pancetta Panini, the image alone is enough to make me smile. I found this panini recipe in the cookbook Homemade with Love by Jennifer Perillo. This panini recipe combines the delicious combination of cheddar cheese, crisp tart apple and the saltiness of pancetta. This is definitely a grownup’s version of a grilled cheese sandwich and has definitely become one of my favorites.
Apple Cheddar And Pancetta Panini Recipe
- 8 thin slices of pancetta
- 8 thick slices country bread
- whole grain mustard
- 8 slices Cheddar cheese
- 1 tart green apple, thinly sliced (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Cook the pancetta until it's nicely browned and crisp. Remove from the skillet and set on a paper towel lined dish to drain.
- Lay 4 pieces of bread on a counter or cutting board. Spread a thing layer of mustard on each slice. Then top with one slice of cheese. Layer 2 to 3 slices of apple on top, then add 2 slices of cooked pancetta on top of that. Layer another slice of cheese over the pancetta, and finish assembling the sandwiches by adding a slice of bread on top.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt half of the butter in the pan. Place two sandwiches in the skillet and cook until the bottom of the sandwiches are golden and the cheese is beginning to melt, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the sandwiches over, weigh them down with a heavy bottom pot and cook on the remaining side until it, too, is golden and the cheese is now fully melted, about 2 more minutes. Repeat with the remaining two sandwiches. Serve immediately.
As a note, my store did not have pancetta so I used bacon instead. Hopefully, you can find it in your store.