Last Updated on June 24, 2019 by Ellen Christian
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You are going to love this pancetta panini recipe! One of my all-time favorite comfort foods in the world is a grilled cheese sandwich. Whether you call it a grilled cheese or an Apple Cheddar And Pancetta Panini, the image alone is enough to make me smile.
Apple Cheddar And Pancetta Panini Recipe
This panini recipe combines the delicious combination of cheddar cheese, crisp tart apple and the saltiness of pancetta. This is definitely a grownup’s version of a grilled cheese sandwich and has definitely become one of my favorites. I absolutely love pancetta.
So, if you’re not familiar with it, pancetta is a cured Italian bacon. You can find it in the deli section where you’d find the sliced ham. While you certainly can use sliced ham if you have to, the taste of pancetta is really what makes this grilled cheese sandwich an amazing treat. Make sure that you fry it so it’s crispy.
I’d really recommend a Granny Smith Apple with this recipe. The tart taste of the apple with the melted cheese is just out of this world. So, I think that the taste wouldn’t stand out as much if you used a sweeter apple.
To really make this a panini, you should use a panini maker. It has a top and bottom grooved plate to make paninis. But, if you don’t have a panini press, you can make this as a grilled cheese in a pan like I did. It tastes equally as delicious but takes a bit more work to get the top and bottom crispy for a toasted panini. Cook it over low heat and don’t rush it.
So, if you love apples, here are a few more apple recipes to try. If you’re gluten intolerant, you can make this on my gluten-free bread. Just be sure to cook this on a low heat and use plenty of butter to prevent sticking. This really is one of the best simple paninis I’ve tried.
Next, if you want something with more vegetables, check out the video above.
This is definitely a grownup's version of a grilled cheese sandwich and has definitely become one of my favorites.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 8 thin slices of pancetta
- 8 thick slices country bread
- whole grain mustard
- 8 slices Cheddar cheese
- 1 tart green apple, thinly sliced (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Cook the pancetta until it's nicely browned and crisp. Remove from the skillet and set on a paper towel lined dish to drain.
- Lay 4 pieces of bread on a counter or cutting board. Spread a thing layer of mustard on each slice. Then top with one slice of cheese. Layer 2 to 3 slices of apple on top, then add 2 slices of cooked pancetta on top of that. Layer another slice of cheese over the pancetta, and finish assembling the sandwiches by adding a slice of bread on top.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt half of the butter in the pan. Place two sandwiches in the skillet and cook until the bottom of the sandwiches are golden and the cheese is beginning to melt, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the sandwiches over, weigh them down with a heavy bottom pot and cook on the remaining side until it, too, is golden and the cheese is now fully melted, about 2 more minutes. Repeat with the remaining two sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.