Last Updated on February 16, 2021 by Ellen Christian
Are you looking for a strawberry apple sonker recipe? Make a batch of this homemade deep-dish strawberry apple cobbler recipe with icing.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Strawberry Apple Sonker recipe with Dip
The original recipe called for this to be a Blackberry Sonker with Dip but the price of blackberries at the store was really expensive so I decided to go with a Strawberry Apple Sonker with Dip instead.
It was absolutely amazing and you could easily substitute any type of berry or fruits like peach or pear instead to keep it seasonal.
I found this recipe in A Year of Pies: A seasonal tour of home baked pies by Ashley English. Reprinted with permission.
- 4 1/2 half pints berries or fruit of your choice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Biscuit Topping
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a medium sized bowl. Stir until the dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed and the berries are well coated.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen cloth and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut the butter into cubes until the mixture is crumbly and the size of peas or smaller.
- Create a well in the center of the mixture. Pour in the buttermilk, and using a large spoon, gently incorporate just until all the dry ingredients are moistened. The mixture will look quite wet at this point but that's fine.
- Heat the milk in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Whisk the sugar and starch in a small bowl to mix well, then add to the milk along with the vanilla extract, stirring until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Reduce the heat under the saucepan to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered 15 to 20 minutes until the mixture is reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the dip to a pourable container. Cover and set aside while the sonker bakes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 787Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 353mgCarbohydrates: 148gFiber: 11gSugar: 73gProtein: 10g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.