Last Updated on June 2, 2022 by Ellen Christian
It’s just about time to get started gardening in Vermont. Check out these spring gardening tips that will work for zone 4 and 5.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spring is one of the busiest times of year for gardeners. There is so much that needs to be done. One of the first things that I do is to get my spring salad garden ready.
And, of course, I look forward to my garden of purple herbs. There is so much you can do with fresh herbs when you cook.
Spring Gardening Tips
Of course, once the weather is nice again, I just cannot wait to get outside in the garden. There is so much that needs to be done after 6 months of snow and cold weather.
What should I do to my garden in the spring?
- Inspect your garden to see what needs to be addressed.
- Keep your eyes open to damage that may have occurred to benches, birdbaths, and fences. That will need to be addressed now.
- Clean up any leaves and fall branches or sticks.
- Test your garden soil. A lot can change in a year. You will want a garden soil test kit.
- Amend the soil based on what your garden test tells you that’s lacking.
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
- Prune berries, roses, and other cane plants.
- Divide your perennials and translate any shrubs that need attention.
- Remember to set out your trellises and stakes for plants that need added support.
- Put in your cool-weather plants like pansies and sweet alyssum.
- Remember to have cloches on hand in case the weather gets cold suddenly. Row covers work well for larger areas.
When should I start my garden in the spring?
This depends on your last frost date. I am on the border of zones 4 and 5. For me, we start our garden on Memorial Day weekend.
There are some cold weather plants we can put in a week or two earlier depending on the weather. I always add some arugula, baby spinach, and lettuce greens.
It should be safe to plant cold weather plant on these dates:
- Zone 3 – May 1 to 16
- Zone 4 – April 24 to May 12
- If you live in Zone 5 – April 7 to 30
- Zone 6 – April 1 to 21
What are the best plants to grow in spring?
When it comes to spring gardening tips, it’s important to buy high-quality seeds. We look for organic whenever possible.
- Lettuce greens
- Johnny Jump Ups
What flowers can I plant in early spring?
There are a number of pretty flowers that you can plant in the early spring. These spring gardening tips will help your flowers be healthy and strong.
Remember that many popular spring flowers are bulbs that need to be planted in the fall. But, you can plant these now.
- Dusty miller
- Flowering cabbage
- Johnny Jump Ups
Preparing your vegetable garden for spring
Here are some spring gardening tips for your vegetable gardens.
- Check out your garden shed and make sure you can find all of your tools.
- Clear out the weeds, mulch, and winter debris.
- Amend your soil and loosen it with a hoe.
- Add a layer of mulch or manure and work it in several times.
Spring gardening tips for raised beds
So, how do you prepare raised beds for spring? You can start with this.
- Work up the soil and turn under any cover crops.
- Inspect the bed for needed repairs.
- Remove weeds and debris.
- Add your stakes or trellises when needed.
More gardening articles
If you enjoyed these spring gardening tips, you might want to read these.
These container garden drainage tips will help you have better results in growing seeds in your vegetable garden.
Do you know how to start seeds for your garden inside? In Vermont, our growing season is fairly short. This is what we do.
Wondering about beneficial plants for your garden? I love gardening but I’ll be the first person to tell you that it’s a lot of work keeping my yard and garden the way I want it.
Fall is a busy time in the garden. Not only do you need to clean up any flowers that have died, but you also need to plant the best fall bulbs for spring blooms.
And, you might want to consider planting trees or these full sun flowers.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.