Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for a quick apple cake recipe that you can make in an hour or less? Every now and then, friends or family will call and say they’re stopping by unexpectedly. I like to have some sort of dessert to offer them with coffee when they get here. I prefer not to buy ready made frozen desserts from the store. So, instead, I have a few easy recipes I can have ready quickly like this cake. This post contains affiliate links, and I will receive compensation if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
You may also like:
Quick Apple Cake Recipe
You could really make this quick apple cake recipe with a variety of fruits. It would work with pears, peaches or nectarines provided you sliced them thin enough. You could use fresh berries in the summer if you want as well. It’s really just about what you have on hand. I would recommend you start with fresh fruit. Frozen fruit would probably be too soft once it had cooked to hold its shape. I’ve also made this with dehydrated apple slices and it’s quite good that way too.
FGN Best Unique Cool Home Kitchen Tools Gadgets-Fruit Salad Maker Fruit Slicer-Avocado Slicer,Citrus Peeler,Apple Slicer,Citrus Juicer,Fruit GraterVremi Apple Slicer and Corer – 3 in 1 Apple Slicer Potato Slicer Cutter for French Fries and Mango Slicer Corer – 8 Apple Wedge Slices or 36 Potato Slices Interchangeable Stainless Steel Metal BladesCAST MAGNESIUM APPLE PEELER by Spiralizer, Durable Heavy Duty Die Cast Magnesium Alloy Apple Slicer, Corer Peeler
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup butter (plus about 1 tablespoon melted)
- 2 apples, peeled & sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk.
- Sift together into a second bowl the flour, baking powder, salt and tablespoon of sugar.
- Cut the butter or margarine into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture is the consistency of cornmeal.
- Stir in the egg and milk.
- Spread batter in a greased pan (8x8x2 or 8" tart pan).
- Press apple slices onto batter in rows.
- Brush top with part of the melted butter.
- Sprinkle with the combined sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and top with remaining melted butter.
- Bake in a quick oven until the cake leaves the side of the pan and is nicely browned on top, twenty-five minutes or more.
- Serve warm or cool cut in pieces.
This recipe is similar to an upside down apple cake recipe except the apples are on top so there is no flipping required. It’s one of my favorite easy apple cake recipes with fresh apples.
I find that an apple corer really saves time when making this recipe. You still need to slice the apples but it’s much quicker when you can remove the core first. If you have an apple peeler and corer in one unit, you can literally have this recipe on the table in about 45 minutes start to finish.
I found this recipe in the book Cherries in Winter – My Family’s Recipe for Hope in Hard Times by Suzan Colon. It’s loaded with inspiration and recipes for getting through tough times. This recipe was reprinted with permission.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.