Last Updated on October 20, 2021 by Ellen Christian
You have got to try this non alcoholic fruit cake recipe! Did you know that most fruit cakes are made by soaking the fruitcake in rum? That’s how it stays moist for such a long period of time. Marty and I don’t drink or use alcohol when we cook so I wanted to find a recipe for fruit cake that didn’t require alcohol. This one is perfect and it tastes so good!
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Non Alcoholic Fruit Cake Recipe
Now, did you know that fruit cake has been around since the twelfth century in one form or another? Originally, they were considered an indulgence because of all of the dried fruits in the cake. But, eventually, fruit cakes stopped being as popular and now tend to be something we joke about getting. But, there are still those of us who love fruit cakes and look forward to eating them at the holidays. Some years, I make them from scratch. Others, I buy a ready-made fruit cake to save time.
Either way, everyone will love this non alcholic fruit cake recipe. You can bake them in smaller bread tins if you want to give them as gifts. Or, if you plan on keeping it for yourself, you can bake it in a regular size bread tin. So, if you’re looking for a super moist fruit cake recipe, this is it.
What you need to make this non alcoholic fruit cake recipe
Citrons or chopped dried fruits – This particular recipe calls for dates, candied cherries, and raisins. You can use whatever types of diced citron you prefer.
Loaf pan – You can use a traditional metal bread loaf tin if you want to make one standard size fruitcake. I love making these as mini loaves to give as gifts.
This really is an easy non alcoholic Christmas cake recipe that everyone in the family will enjoy. And, it makes a wonderful Christmas morning treat if everyone in the family likes fruit cake. Or, you can save it all for yourself!
Non Alcoholic Fruit Cake Recipe
You can make this easy non alcoholic fruit cake with no soaking required.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped glazed cherries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (divided into 1/4 cup and 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- Grated rind of one orange
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small bowl, mix together the baking soda and sour cream; set aside. Combine the dates, raisins, cherries, and nuts with 1/4 cup of the flour and toss to coat the fruit and nuts. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the egg, then the orange rind, then the sour cream/baking soda mix. Add the flour and the salt and mix together. Combine fruit/nut mixture with creamed ingredients and mix well to distribute the fruit and nuts evenly.
- Pour batter into a prepared loaf pan and bake at 325°F for one and a half to two hours or until a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Place a pan of water in the oven when the cake goes in. Water may need to be replenished during baking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 358mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 3gSugar: 42gProtein: 6g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.
6 thoughts on “Non Alcoholic Fruit Cake Recipe”