Last Updated on February 5, 2023 by Ellen Christian
You have got to try to make your own healthy hot chocolate this year! I love hot chocolate. Make a batch of my hot chocolate jar recipe today to share with friends.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make your own Healthy Hot Chocolate
I was making my grocery list a few days ago and hot chocolate was one of the things we are almost out of. Since I am trying to get healthier and be more aware of what I’m eating,
I glanced at the ingredients on the box of my hot chocolate packets. Two ingredients jumped out at me – corn syrup and carrageenan. That made me realize that I needed to learn how to make your own healthy hot chocolate.
I know that it’s possible to make hot chocolate from milk and shaved dark chocolate. My preference is to make my hot chocolate from a mix. I want something fast and easy.
I want to grab a jar from the cupboard, add a few teaspoons to hot milk, stir and enjoy. By learning how to make your own healthy hot chocolate as a mix, you can also use this recipe to create a gift in a jar for someone on your gift list this Christmas. I love homemade Christmas gifts.
Best milk for hot chocolate
You can make this healthy hot chocolate with regular milk or almond milk. If you want it to be Paleo friendly, add unsweetened almond milk. If you eat dairy, choose regular whole organic milk.
This is NOT a sweet hot chocolate. If you are looking for something that is closer to store bought as far as sweetness, double the amount of stevia/sweetener.
To give this healthy hot chocolate as a gift, add a piece of festive fabric to the top and include instructions on how to prepare it. You can even make a batch of cookies to go along with the hot chocolate.
Looking for more gifts in a jar? Check out my Friendship Soup Gift Mix in a Jar.
- Homemade peanut butter fudge
- Buttercream mint candy recipe
- Last minute creative wrapping ideas
- Stevia lemonade
- Mocha protein shake
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - Fair Trade is best
- 1/8 tsp stevia powder or sugar to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- shaved dark chocolate or chocolate chips for the top if you want
- optional: a few candies as a treat
- (water & unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk or traditional milk when ready to drink)
- Mix the cocoa powder, stevia powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Pour into a glass canning jar. You can double or triple the amount depending on the size of your glass jar.
- When you want to drink a cup of healthy hot chocolate, Add roughly 1/8 cup (2 servings) to a small pan, blend in 1/4 cup of hot water. Bring it to a boil and simmer for a minute. Add 1 3/4 cups of unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk or traditional milk and heat.
- Remove from heat, add a 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and stir well. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 149mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.