Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. Post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Summer will be here before you know it and that means it’s time to take out the grill! I love the grill and do you know why? Because my husband is the one that uses it 🙂 It’s considered his domain and I don’t get to cook on it. That works just fine for me. This Grilled Cheese Stuffed Meatball Sliders recipe sounds like the perfect recipe to make on the grill. Since our grill isn’t out quite yet here in Vermont, I did the meatball part in the oven. As soon as our grill is out though… watch out! I found this recipe in the I Love Meatballs! cookbook.
Grilled Cheese Stuffed Meatball Sliders recipe
1 pound ground round (85% lean)
1/3 cup dried plain breadcrumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 (1/2-inch) cubes sharp Cheddar cheese cut from brick cheese
12 store bought slider buns or small Parker House rolls, split
2 leaves red-leaf lettuce, torn into 12 pieces
12 dill pickle slices (optional)
- To make the meatball sliders, mix the ground round, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Prepare a medium hot fire in an outdoor grill. Using your wet hands rinsed under cold water, shape the meat mixture into 12 equal meatballs. One at a time, flatten a ball slightly in your palms and completely wrap a cheese cube in the meat mixture. Transfer to a plate.
- Scoop out some of the bread from each bun to make more room for the meatballs. (Save the bread for another use, such as in meatball recipes.) Set the buns aside.
- To grill the meatballs with a basket, lightly oil the molds (a pump sprayer works best). Place the meatballs in the basket and close it. Place the basket on the cooking grate and cover. Grill the meatballs until the undersides are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Flip the basket over and grill until the other sides are lightly browned and the meatballs are medium-rare, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a platter.
- Place the buns on the grill and grill, turning once, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. For each slider, place a meatball on a bun bottom and top with a piece of lettuce and a pickle slice. Add a dollop of ketchup. Add the bun top and serve warm.
I’ve never had sliders before, believe it or not, and I really enjoyed these. They are a fun change from hamburgers and my son enjoyed them as well. We had to go with small ciabata rolls as our little store didn’t have slider rolls but any small roll should work well in this. Definitely a fun sliders recipe to use those meatballs in! Check out my I Love Meatballs review.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.