Last Updated on January 23, 2023 by Ellen Christian
Get the recipe for my favorite Apfelkuchen muffins with olive oil. These gluten free muffins are a favorite fall muffin. They have all the delicious apple cinnamon taste you need.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gluten Free Apfelkuchen Muffins with Olive Oil
I love the fall and the flavors of pumpkin and apple. Everywhere I drive in my small town, I see farm stands with pumpkins, apples, and fall desserts for sale.
Many of the desserts, Sarah cannot enjoy because they have gluten. I decided to try a gluten free apfelkuchen muffin with olive oil to see if I could replicate the dessert we enjoy that has gluten in it.
What is Apfelkuchen?
Apfelkuchen is a German apple cake that is traditionally topped with a cinnamon crumb type topping.
I made my own oat flour by pulverizing it in my blender. You can purchase oat flour already ground in the gluten free or specialty baking section of your grocery store.
You may also enjoy this lecithin bread recipe.
The recipe I had from when I was younger called for margarine. Since I’m moving away from using margarine, I decided to use olive oil instead.
When I stopped at Walmart, I noticed a new olive oil on the shelf in the baking aisle called Butter Flavored Olive Oil. I thought that this would work wonderfully in the Gluten Free Apfelkuchen Muffins.
I was right, the STAR Butter Flavored Olive Oil gave the Gluten Free Apfelkuchen Muffins a light buttery taste that I really enjoyed.
STAR Fine Foods is having a giveaway on their Facebook page where 10 fans will win a bottle of the olive oil! Enter today!
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice or white rice flour
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp STAR Butter flavored Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup whole milk (poured over vinegar to make buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- For the topping on the muffins:
- 2 apples (I like McIntosh)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmet
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place paper muffin liners in muffin pan.
- Chop the apples into small cubes and place them in a bowl with lemon juice and water so they don't brown. Place them in a small sauce pan and simmer for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl (except the apples) and set aside.
- Mix the STAR Butter flavored Olive Oil and the sugar.
- Stir in the milk and applesauce.
- Sift in the flours and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Pour the gluten free apfelkuchen muffin batter into paper muffin liners about 3/4 of the way.
- Press the chopped apple gently into each muffin. Top with a tablespoon of topping.
- Bake 15-25 minutes. Muffins are done when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 213mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 4gSugar: 35gProtein: 8g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.