Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on June 24, 2019 by Ellen Christian
This gluten free apfelkuchen muffin recipe was made as part of a sponsored opportunity with Collective Bias®. All opinions are mine and mine alone.
I love the fall and the flavors of pumpkin and apple. Everywhere I drive in my small town, I see farm stands with pumpkins, apples, and fall desserts for sale. Many of the desserts, Sarah cannot enjoy because they have gluten. I decided to try a gluten free apfelkuchen muffin with olive oil to see if I could replicate the dessert we enjoy that has gluten in it. Apfelkuchen is a German apple cake that is traditionally topped with a cinnamon crumb type topping.
Gluten Free Apfelkuchen Muffins with Olive Oil
25 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice or white rice flour
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp STAR Butter flavored Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup whole milk (poured over vinegar to make buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- For the topping on the muffins:
- 2 apples (I like McIntosh)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmet
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place paper muffin liners in muffin pan.
- Chop the apples into small cubes and place them in a bowl with lemon juice and water so they don't brown. Place them in a small sauce pan and simmer for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl (except the apples) and set aside.
- Mix the STAR Butter flavored Olive Oil and the sugar.
- Stir in the milk and applesauce.
- Sift in the flours and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Pour the gluten free apfelkuchen muffin batter into paper muffin liners about 3/4 of the way.
- Press the chopped apple gently into each muffin. Top with a tablespoon of topping.
- Bake 15-25 minutes. Muffins are done when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
I made my own oat flour by pulverizing it in my blender. You can purchase oat flour already ground in the gluten free or specialty baking section of your grocery store.
The recipe I had from when I was younger called for margarine. Since I’m moving away from using margarine, I decided to use olive oil instead. When I stopped at Walmart, I noticed a new olive oil on the shelf in the baking aisle called STAR Butter Flavored Olive Oil. I thought that this would work wonderfully in the Gluten Free Apfelkuchen Muffins. I was right, the STAR Butter Flavored Olive Oil gave the Gluten Free Apfelkuchen Muffins a light buttery taste that I really enjoyed.
STAR Fine Foods is having a giveaway on their Facebook page where 10 fans will win a bottle of the olive oil! Enter today!
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.