Last Updated on
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce is a family favorite meal that even the pickiest eaters will love. Strips of chicken breast meat are threaded onto skewers and marinated before being grilled. Satay is an Indonesian dish of seasoned, grilled meat on skewers that is served with a sauce. It’s popular in Southeast Asia, particularly Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand. The name may sound exotic, but the taste is loved by my picky husband and children. If the name sounds too exotic for them, just tell them they are chicken fingers on a stick. They’ll love it!
You may also like:
Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
I’m always searching for easy, healthy recipes that my family will love. They enjoy traditional American food but that isn’t always the healthiest food to serve. I’ve been working on introducing new recipes to them and wanted to share one that they enjoyed with you. This easy chicken satay with peanut sauce was a huge hit.
What you’ll need for this Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
Skewers – This recipe will need some type of skewer to hold the chicken. I chose wooden skewers because they are very affordable. But, if you plan on making this regularly, you can invest in metal skewers as well.
If you don’t want to make your own peanut sauce from scratch like I did in the recipe, you can buy a ready-made peanut sauce to save time. The one I linked to is gluten-free.
Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce is a family favorite meal that even the pickiest eaters will love. Strips of chicken breast meat are threaded onto skewers and marinated before being grilled.
2 hr, 30 Prep Time
10 minCook Time
2 hr, 40 Total Time
- 1 c plain yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 20 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 min
- Vegetable oil, for grilling
- 1/4 c creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 c coconut milk
- 1/4 c hot water
- red chili flake to taste
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- Combine yogurt, ginger, garlic and curry powder in shallow bowl. Add chicken strips to yogurt marinade and toss until well coated. Cover and let chicken marinate in the refrigerator for up to 2 hrs.
- Weave the chicken strips onto the skewers down the center of the chicken so that it stays on during grilling.
- Grill the chicken satays over medium heat for 3 – 5 minutes on each side until they are seared and cooked through.
- To make the sauce: Combine all ingredients with a whisk in a small bowl, adding the water last. Pour into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble and thicken. Serve the satays on a platter lined with lettuce leaves and topped with chopped fresh cilantro; accompanied by the peanut sauce on the side.
My husband and the kids enjoy having this over rice. You can either serve it with white rice or make a homemade stir-fried rice. Either way, it’s delicious. To save time, you can make the stir-fried rice ahead of time and simply reheat it at dinnertime.
I hope you enjoy this Thai chicken satay recipe!
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.