Last Updated on April 19, 2023 by Ellen Christian
Looking for an iris folding template? Get the free printable iris folding pattern for this Autumn Maple Leaf framed project and make it today.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Autumn Maple Leaf Iris Folding Project
Iris folding is a paper folding technique that originated in Holland. Strips of folded colored paper are taped into place over a pattern to create a spiral design that looks like the iris of a camera.
These designs can then be used in note cards or framed and hung on the wall for a gorgeous accent piece.
Iris folding is a paper craft technique that involves folding strips of paper to form a design. The center of the design is similar to the iris of a camera. I typically do iris folding with origami paper because it’s the easiest to fold.
Iris folding template and materials:
Iris folding directions
- Print the pattern and cut it out. You will need to right click and save the image below and print it out.
- Trace the pattern on the back side of the card stock
- Carefully cut out the pattern from the inside of the card stock so there is basically a hole in the center of the card stock where the pattern is. Do not cut through the outside of the card stock.
- Cut each origami sheet into 1 1/2″ strips.
- Fold each strip in half so it is 3/4″ long.
- Tape the pattern into the hole left in the card stock so the pattern can be seen from the back side of the card stock.
- Carefully tape each strip, following the numbered key, onto the card stock. Trim as you go so you don’t have an excess of origami paper on your card stock.
- Do each color at a time and then move clockwise to the next color.
- Flip the card stock over and carefully tuck any stray edges in. Frame or use mounted on a note card.
- Sunprint paper kit tutorial
- Spring garden card with washi tape
- Framed Irish proverb
- Homemade wrapping paper
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.