Last Updated on July 24, 2020 by Ellen Christian
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Iris folding is a paper folding technique that originated in Holland. Strips of folded colored paper are taped into place over a pattern to create a spiral design that looks like the iris of a camera. These designs can then be used in note cards or even framed and hung on the wall for a gorgeous accent piece. I created an autumn maple leaf iris folding project to frame.
You may also like:
Autumn Maple Leaf Iris Folding Project
Iris folding is a paper craft technique that involves folding strips of paper to form a design. The center of the design is similar to the iris of a camera. I typically do iris folding with origami paper because it’s the easiest to fold.
- Print the pattern and cut it out.
- Trace the pattern on the back side of the card stock
- Carefully cut out the pattern from the inside of the card stock so there is basically a hole in the center of the card stock where the pattern is. Do not cut through the outside of the card stock.
- Cut each origami sheet into 1 1/2″ strips.
- Fold each strip in half so it is 3/4″ long.
- Tape the pattern into the hole left in the card stock so the pattern can be seen from the back side of the card stock.
- Carefully tape each strip, following the numbered key, onto the card stock. Trim as you go so you don’t have an excess of origami paper on your card stock.
- Do each color at a time and then move clockwise to the next color.
- Flip the card stock over and carefully tuck any stray edges in. Frame or use mounted on a note card.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 22-year-old son and 27-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.