Last Updated on June 30, 2023 by Ellen Christian
I love salads in the summer time. This Spring Sorghum Grain Salad recipe is one of my favorites. Salads are the perfect accompaniment to barbecued chicken or steak on the grill.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spring Sorghum Grain Salad Recipe
Salads are easy to make ahead for picnics and parties so that you can just take them out of the refrigerator at the last minute. the only thing that I don’t like about many salads is that they are not gluten free.
I have a lot of favorite pasta salads but since my daughter is gluten intolerant, I rarely make them. I try to serve things that everyone in the family can enjoy including my daughter.
Spring grain salad
This Spring Sorghum Grain Salad recipe is gluten free. If you are not familiar with sorghum, you may know it by the name milo. It’s a small, round grain that is a bit similar to pearl barley.
I’s loaded with iron, potassium and fiber so it’s a healthy food to include in your diet. Sorghum is a Middle Eastern grain that traveled along trade routes from ancient Africa to the Middle East, India and China.
This recipe makes a delicious spring salad. Technically, it could be a meal because having the sorghum with the feta makes a complete protein but we usually enjoy it as a salad topped with Stonyfield Farms Organic Greek yogurt.
Since it uses fresh lettuce and radishes from the garden, it’s a very frugal side dish. The only real expense is the fresh herbs and if you have those in your garden as well, the expense is minimal.
You will want to start this salad the night before since the sorghum has to soak first.
- 2/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain Sorghum
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup scant (slightly less than) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh Bibb lettuce to serve the sorghum grain salad on or shred and mix in
- crumbled feta cheese to top
- Stonyfield Greek yogurt to top
- Soak the sorghum in water overnight in the refrigerator to soften.
- Drain the sorghum & place in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for an hour until all of the water is gone and the sorghum is about the same texture as rice.
- Cool the sorghum, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (not the feta or lettuce). Mix well.
- Serve the sorghum over the lettuce. Top with feta and Stonyfield Greek yogurt
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She believes that it doesn’t have to be difficult to lead a healthy life. She shares simple healthy living tips to show busy women how to lead fulfilling lives. If you’d like to work together, email email@example.com to chat.